Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Darko Gulija <Da...@hina.hr> on 2006/04/04 09:14:01 UTC

Using Central European characters

We need to include CE characters in PDF output generated by FOP, but are faced
with the problem that:
- when using Base-14 fonts, Acrobat Reader does not display CE characters (we
tried to put them using utf-8, windows-1250 and iso-8859-2 encoding, none of
them worked)
- when embedding the font in the FOP, characters are displayed correctly, but
copy/paste from the PDF does not work (at all).

As a news agency, we have strong need that generated PDF is both displayed
correctly and that users are able to copy the content to another application.

Does the current state of FOP allows that (either 0.20 or 0.91) ?

I know that it is still an open issue in general, but is there some
workarround ?

Thanks,
Darko.Gulija@hina.hr
IT Manager / Voditelj informatike
tel:  +385 1 48 08 800
fax:  +385 1 48 08 820
Croatian News Agency (HINA)
http://www.hina.hr

Re: Using Central European characters

Posted by je...@atol.si.
Darko

As far as I know even latest development code (trunk) does not display
fonts correctly if you try to support iso-8859-2 encoding.

You can read about this here:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/fonts.html#truetype-metrics

CID-keyed: Character Display: Correct, but copy/paste won't work in
Acrobat Reader. (FOP currently doesn't emit the /ToUnicode table which is
necessary for copy/paste to work.)

Jelka

Darko Gulija <Da...@hina.hr>
Sent by: news <ne...@sea.gmane.org>