Posted to wsif-user@ws.apache.org by Mark Woodman <ma...@markwoodman.com> on 2007/01/16 19:33:04 UTC

Is WSIF alive?

I'm doing some research to see if WSIF is viable in my architecture, but the
lack of activity in the code base is concerning.  Any thoughts?

--
Mark Woodman
http://inkblots.markwoodman.com

Re: Is WSIF alive?

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Farrukh S. Najmi wrote:
> Mark Woodman wrote:
>
>> I'm doing some research to see if WSIF is viable in my architecture,
>> but the lack of activity in the code base is concerning.  Any thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> Mark Woodman
>> http://inkblots.markwoodman.com
>>
> I may be wrong but....
>
> I had asked the same question some time back. I have come to my own
> conclusion that the emergence of ESB technology has been replacing the
> benefits of WSIF and that WSIF is not something I want to use in a new
> project at this stage.
>
> WSIF community, please don't hesitate to correct my possible
> mis-perception if I am mistaken.

hi,

WSIF is barely alive - the level of interest went down very much.
nonetheless i have just built (hopefully) the final 2.1 version - it
would be great if anybody interested in WSIF took it for spin (it has
some new things like BSF support and updated AXIS1):
http://people.apache.org/dist/ws/wsif/

i think main value of WSIF is how nicely it abstracts services with
WSDLs that can describe any protocols not just SOAP with WSIF Providers
and WSDL Extensions (see http://ws.apache.org/wsif/providers/ )

so i would like to create a new version that would have support for
AXIS2, WSDL2 and other but i need help to see what is needed - to this
extent i created wiki page for it at
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/WSIF/IdeasForNewWsif

so if you are interested in shaping WSIF future please write and suggest
direction you want it to take - it is really up to WSIF users to make
WSIF what they like it to be :-)

thanks,

alek
ps. i also maintain a completely experimental version of WSIF (that i
called XWSIF) at www.extreme.indiana.edu as part of XSUL. this version
has some interesting capabilities prototyped such as ability to set
per-service providers that i added today (so it is easy to create
security context such as client side certificates that is service specific).

Re: Is WSIF alive?

Posted by "Farrukh S. Najmi" <fa...@wellfleetsoftware.com>.
Mark Woodman wrote:
> I'm doing some research to see if WSIF is viable in my architecture,
> but the lack of activity in the code base is concerning.  Any thoughts?
>
> --
> Mark Woodman
> http://inkblots.markwoodman.com
I may be wrong but....

I had asked the same question some time back. I have come to my own
conclusion that the emergence of ESB technology has been replacing the
benefits of WSIF and that WSIF is not something I want to use in a new
project at this stage.

WSIF community, please don't hesitate to correct my possible
mis-perception if I am mistaken.

Thanks.

Farrukh

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com