Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/02 22:41:54 UTC

Documentation in general (was: Fwd: Re: Removing links from the main page)

Am 02.09.13 22:13, schrieb Ken McWilliams:
> A bit off topic, but on the subject of clean up the struts2 tag reference
> has been out of date for ages with respect to telling you if the attribute
> is evaluated for ognl by default or not.
>
> http://struts.apache.org/release/2.3.x/docs/tag-reference.html
>
> Check the "if" and "property" tags, the "test" and "value" attributes
> respectively are marked as "false" under the evaluated heading which is
> clearly false. As a matter of fact I can't find one instance of "true" for
> any attribute under any tag!

very welcome feedback. Actually I believe a Wiki is not the best tool
for documentation. I am sticking to this project for a while now, but I
could not tell from mind how to properly update the docs. I think if we
could give the wider community a chance to easily contribute to the
docs, we would have a huge win. For example, if you (Ken) would have the
chance to change the problem you found within 2 minutes, you certainly
would have done so already.

> Ascetics count. I like the new struts2 page "http://struts.apache.org/" and
> kudos struts2 community on that.
Thanks! We are using the Apache Maven Fluido plugin here, which uses
Bootstrap (just in case you want to use it too :-))
> However when people on stackoverflow ask when should they use "%{}" being
> able to point them at the tag reference would make the most sense...
You mean, OGNL docs are lacking? You are right. I just discussed that
with a few fellows at  Google Hangout.

That said, its worth to separate this into a on thread, which i did now.

Not sure if the idea to switch to a different documentation system finds
support. If it does, lets discuss what opportunities we have.

Cheers

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Steven Benitez
<st...@gmail.com>wrote: > This sounds good to me. A more up to
date site would be good. > > On Monday, September 2, 2013, Christian
Grobmeier wrote: > > > Hi folks, > > > > at our main page are the
following links: > > > > http://struts.SourceForge.net/ -> pretty
outdated, last update from > > 2006 it seems > > > >
http://people.apache.org/~rubys/planet/struts -> doesn't look too good >
> for us either... > > > > http://www.ApacheBookstore.com/ -> Is this
still maintained? > > > > In general I am doubting the sense of the page
at struts.apache.org. > > As we don't maintain S1 anymore, we could move
a lot of it to S2 page, > > leaving the main page with something similar
like we have at logging: > > > > http://logging.apache.org > > > >
Questions: > > > > 1) Are you fine if I would remove the links mentioned
above? > > 2) Are you fine to move to a simpler landing page (on the
long term)? > > > > Cheers > > Christian > > > > > >

Re: Documentation in general (was: Fwd: Re: Removing links from the main page)

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.
2013/9/3 Ken McWilliams <ke...@gmail.com>:
> Lukasz, not sure if autogeneration as it is done is best. Will create the
> JIRA request. Don't know about the use of the annotations, are there
> selenium tests checking the ognl evaluation of all attributes on all tags?

No, but there are plans to do it :-)

> Wikis are a great way to maintain documentation, as you suggest there is an
> issue with openness (or lack there of) restricting contribution. I've used
> and setup both Mediawiki and Xwiki in the past. The later is quite easy to
> use and quite feature rich (also it's written in Java).

Anyone can contribute to the docs - just fill iCLA and you're done.
The problem is with parts that are fetched from the source code
(snippets, tag reference, etc) - then you must be a committer to
introduce a change. That's why I have started advocating to move all
snippets from source to wiki (Confluence).

>  What type of content management system do you think would be better, forum
> perhaps? I think a forum would be a great addition. Of course it takes
> time...

Forum? Don't get it :( What for?

> [...]
> enter the application. In other words we understood the system but not the
> full impact of the system on the environment. This effect has been nicely
> summed up in biology as the "extended phenotype" :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Extended_Phenotype
>
>  Some security observations and suggestions:
>  - An fully open wiki will have detrimental mistakes made and will rarely
> suffer malicious alterations (it will happen), although this sounds bad it
> must be weighed against the good. There are simply more good people who
> will fix trivial errors and a good wiki is designed to be resilient. If
> there are more good people who will contribute than bad people who will do
> stupid things and those stupid things are trivially reverted the good will
> win out.
>  - There should be at least three levels of users: Trusted users (the group
> already trusted to work on the wiki), Registered Users (people who have
> taken the time to create an account), and Guests
>  - Only Trusted users should be allowed to modify the most visible pages.
> As much as I'd like to think no one would change the welcome page to
> "Spring-MVC Rocks!" some idiot is bound to do this and so only trusted
> users should be allowed to edit the welcome page and possibly a few others.
>  - Registered users should be able to change just about anything else.
>  - I'm an advocate of guest access, but if SSO is employed then the
> difference between guest and registered user from the amount of work on the
> part of the user that guest access can be reasonably avoided.
>  - Really in the ideal case you want to convey to a visiting user that
> should they see a spelling/grammar/obvious logic error that in 1 minute or
> less they can have it corrected.
>  - Don't know the facilities "Bootstrap" provides but being familiar with
> Xwiki, it has the ability to create "spaces", each space (in the form:
> http://domain/xwiki/space_name/page_name). Spaces can be configured with
> different default security levels for the pages created within. For
> instance all "core" pages could be in the "/core" space and only editable
> by trusted users. Pages under the "integration" space (covering spring,
> hibernate, security issues, etc) could be editable by all.
>
>  I would love to see more openness and yes had the tag reference pages been
> editable I would have made the corrections on those, and by this time all
> of the elements for all of the tags. As a side note, many months ago I
> printed and filled out 'The Apache Software Foundation Individual
> Contributor Licence Agreement ("Agreement") V2.0', it is sitting on my desk
> but when I went to send it my scanner was broken, I was just doing this
> from home. And I thought "Geez it's a pain to do a good deed!" and sloth
> has been the reason it has sat there, that and I've had no reason to use a
> scanner in all this time other than to send this one document!

To sum up:
- wiki is already there - Confluence ->
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WW/
- fill iCLA and you can contribute to the docs
- you can fax iCLA (as I did)

Check here http://www.apache.org/legal/

>  Another thing is versioning. Is embedding the version into the url really
> be best way? (Depending on versions guessing does not always work either...)

What you see is just our userfriendlish - each time a release is
prepared, all the docs are exported from wiki and assembled in a zip
and available for download. We expand the zip and put the contents
under version branch (2.3.x, 2.2.x, etc). Maybe it isn't the best idea
and we should simply just update in one place (/docs) and forget about
the rest - if you want to have access to all docs, download them and
expand locally, wdyt?

Regards
--
Łukasz
+ 48 606 323 122 http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: Documentation in general

Posted by Ken McWilliams <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Lukasz,

I have a document saying I have a "Confluence"/cwiki.apache.org account:
registered with the email address ken.mcwilliams@gmail.com and the username
Quaternion.
Sounds good, I'll certainly have some questions regarding current document
structure, might want to document those too ;) one of the motivations was
the tag reference... the "evaluated" field is _always_ false!

Regards,

Ken McWilliams

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ken McWilliams <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hello Devs,

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Am 04.09.13 08:26, schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
> 2013/9/3 Steven Benitez <st...@gmail.com>:
>> I'm not sure that this would be a good fit for Struts2, but I'll throw the
>> idea out there anyway.
>>
>> On my current project, we needed a way to have an internal documentation
>> site and I am using Jekyll, Github's open source content generator (the
>> same engine that powers Github Pages). The actual documentation are stored
>> as markdown files in Git (could be in the S2 repository).
>>
>> http://jekyllrb.com/
> Good idea and we were talking about that - but first we must export
> all the docs from Confluence to markdown format, setup comments engine
> and so on - lot of work :-) But definitely is worth to engage as the
> current ApacheCMS/SvnPubSub mechanism is a bit painful when used with
> Confluence ;-) And thus allows contribute patches to documentation :-)
>
> Anyway, before we can start, docs must contain all the data - not to
> be spread throughout the source code (example snippets, tag reference)
I love Jekyll myself, +1 on that.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Am 04.09.13 10:29, schrieb Lukasz Lenart:
> 2013/9/4 Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>:
>>> C'mon, it's just 5 sec! And opens doors to become committer :-)
>> Actually, it's not!
>>
>> Not everybody got a scanner or a fax round the corner. I understand it
>> is necessary, but we should not require an ICLA for typos or small
>> contributions (fixing a parameter in docs or so).
>>
>> That said, we need an ICLA, right, but we should be aware this is a
>> barrier and the difference to GitHub.
> ICLA is here to protect users so that's the difference to GitHub. I
> know plenty of companies which are rejected usage of given lib because
> of unclear legal status. IMHO it isn't a barrier if you want - you can
> ask your company to use a fax or visit post office, etc.
We don't need to discuss this further, I know what it is for.
We just need to know that potential Struts committers already have more
barriers than the average GitHub user. At least when the ICLA is on file
we need to make it as easy as possible to contribute. Compared to all
other projects I know at the ASF I think its pretty difficult to
contribute Struts

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Benitez <st...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure that this would be a good fit for Struts2, but I'll throw the
idea out there anyway.

On my current project, we needed a way to have an internal documentation
site and I am using Jekyll, Github's open source content generator (the
same engine that powers Github Pages). The actual documentation are stored
as markdown files in Git (could be in the S2 repository).

http://jekyllrb.com/

A wiki may be better for our purposes, but I think that the barrier to
contribution needs to be re-worked. I've submitted patches to the code
before, but to contribute documentation I need to fill out a form, print
it, scan it, and email/fax it to Apache. Seems like more trouble than it's
worth, IMO.

-Steven

Posted by Ken McWilliams <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@apache.org>.