Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Rafael Taboada <ka...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/02 17:58:46 UTC

Struts with PHP

 Hi folks... I'm working right now with PHP...

 Is it possible to combine PHP with struts? I mean, instead to JSP, use PHP.

 thanks

--

 Rafael Taboada

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

>Yeah, you raise a fair point, maybe I didn't think it through enough...
>I'm not sure how much session really matters, but I think request does...
>I mean, I have an HttpServletRequest object that I populate in an Action,
>and let's assume I can forward that to a PHP page, it's still a Java
>object.
>
>Yeah, I'm starting to scream "D'oh!" in my head right now...

I don't think it's as bad as all that, unfortunately.

Obviously the parameters/attributes/etc. in the session and request
could be marshalled into an object/xml/blob that PHP could understand;
there are some useful utilities in the sandbox made just for that purpose ;)

Session tracking is trivial, just use the session ID from the java side
and keep a hash on the PHP side that uses the same ID (I do something
similar with Lisp using Lisplets).

The easiest way, of course, would be to write jPHP and have phpServlet
and phpTags so you could have both PHP-only presentation but still allow
mixing of PHP code via phpScriptlets in your existing
JSP/Velocity/FreeMarker pages.

Dave

RE: Struts with PHP

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Yeah, you raise a fair point, maybe I didn't think it through enough...
I'm not sure how much session really matters, but I think request does...
I mean, I have an HttpServletRequest object that I populate in an Action,
and let's assume I can forward that to a PHP page, it's still a Java
object.

Yeah, I'm starting to scream "D'oh!" in my head right now...

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect
Omnytex Technologies
http://www.omnytex.com

RE: Struts with PHP

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 6:18 PM +0200 5/2/05, Stéphane Zuckerman wrote:
>  > On 5/2/05, Rafael Taboada <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi folks... I'm working right now with PHP...
>>>
>>>  Is it possible to combine PHP with struts? I mean, instead to JSP, use PHP.
>>>

>Folashade Adeyosoye a écrit :
>>hmm, good question, but i would not think so, one system developed in
>>struts can call a PHP and vise-visa, but i dont think they can be
>>intergrated.
>>
>>1. PHP has a diff processor compared to java/jsp/struts
>>>thanks
>
>Well, I'm not saying this is possible either...
>But after all, people manage to do Struts +
>XML/XSLT without JSP. So why not with PHP ?

Is there a Java PHP interpreter yet?  If not, how
would the PHP environment have access to the
request, session, and application context?

I know there's a JSR for "scripting in Java"
which has a strong PHP focus -- but I don't think
it's done yet.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

RE: Struts with PHP

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
You know boys and girls, this just goes to show... DO NOT stick your nose
in a conversation that you don't have enough knowledge to contribute
intelligently to :)

As I said in my first post, I don't have much experience with PHP... I
made some incorrect assumptions about it and how it works, and thus my
reply was, as it turns out, pretty dumb, to be blunt.

I now bow out as graciously as I can after making myself look like a fool :)

RE: Struts with PHP

Posted by Günther Wieser <gw...@creative-it.com>.
you can get parameters and headers (as they are part of http and included in
the http request), but no chance to get attributes, they only exist in the
virtual machine.

RE: Struts with PHP

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Oh great, now all those out-of-work COBOL programmers are going to be
useful again, making it even MORE difficult for us Java guys to find work!

Thanks a lot Dave!  LOL ;)

AW: Struts with PHP

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <st...@anotheria.net>.
Ok, Dave, I beg my pardon, but I think the initual intent of the thread
originator was far beyond struts/cobol bridges and such.
I don't want to start new senseless threads about using third generation
languages, when there are fifth generation languages available and so on.
So please forgive me, and forget my post :-)

Regards
Leon

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Leon Rosenberg <st...@anotheria.net>.

RE: Struts with PHP

Posted by Folashade Adeyosoye <sh...@gmail.com>.
Because they are Oranges and Apples...

XML/XSLT are mainly file/processors that produces HTML that are universally
recognized by almost all servers.

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Stéphane Zuckerman <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Folashade Adeyosoye <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Robin Ericsson <lo...@localhost.nu>.
Craig McClanahan wrote:
>   http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detai?id=223
>
> The objectives of this JSR include the ability to connect the object
> models of a scripting language (with PHP being an obvious target) and
> a Java virtual machine.  Servlet containers make a natural place to
> integrate this sort of functinality.

It should be with Zend being in the Initial Export Group and MySQL in
support.

regards,
	Robin

Re: Struts with PHP

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 5/2/05, Rafael Taboada <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi folks... I'm working right now with PHP...
>
>  Is it possible to combine PHP with struts? I mean, instead to JSP, use PHP.

For reasons discussed by several people in this thread, information
sharing between the Java logic and the PHP logic can be a challenge.
One technology to keep your eye on, however, is JSR 223:  Scripting
for the Java Platform, where the spec is currently in public review:

  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detai?id=223

The objectives of this JSR include the ability to connect the object
models of a scripting language (with PHP being an obvious target) and
a Java virtual machine.  Servlet containers make a natural place to
integrate this sort of functinality.

Craig

RE: Struts with PHP

Posted by Folashade Adeyosoye <sh...@gmail.com>.
Completely not what is been discussed.

Php.mvc is a framework on its own, doing what struts does, not interaction
between PHP and Struts.

RE: Struts with PHP

Posted by Kris Barnhoorn <kr...@biassweb.be>.