Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> on 2009/01/30 14:05:11 UTC

Reasons for perfomance decline - ideas wanted

Hi all,

I am trying to find out why one of my projects suffer perfomance
declines.

I opened an issue around the problem
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1157 and added some testing
file to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/branches/dispatcher_rewrite/FOR-1157

Both wars are basically the same but have some minor difference, mainly
the dispatcher library and its dependencies. However I debugged both
versions and tested with different tests. The most important match I am
debugging is the following:

<map:match pattern="**.html">
 <map:generate src="lm://resolve.structurer.{1}" type="jx">
  <map:parameter name="lenient-xpath" value="true"/>
  <map:parameter name="getRequest" value="{1}"/>
  <map:parameter name="contextPath" value="{request:contextPath}"/>
  <map:parameter name="getRequestExtension" value="html"/>
 </map:generate>
<!--
  1) <map:serialize type="xml"/>
-->
 <map:transform type="dispatcher">
  <map:parameter name="cacheKey" value="{0}"/>
  <map:parameter name="validityFile"
value="lm://resolve.structurer.{1}"/>
  <map:parameter name="request" value="{1}"/>
  <map:parameter name="type" value="html"/>
 </map:transform>
<!--
  2) <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
-->
 <map:transform src="lm://hooks-to-html.xsl"/>
<!--
  3) <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
-->
 <map:transform src="lm://namespace-stripped"/>
<!--
  4) <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
-->
 <map:transform src="lm://strip-dispatcher-remains-html.xsl"/>
 <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
</map:match>

In one test I cut the pipeline after the generator (1) and the result is
surprising. Since there is NO difference between the old and new version
in the generator I was awaiting that the performance should be the same.

But 55,5 (new) vs. 64,5 (old) are not even close to be the same. I do
not see any reason for performance penalty since I am not actually
testing my development but a general component that did not changed at
all.

Has anybody an idea what the reason for the performance decline can be?

salu2

de la InformaciĆ³n, S.A.U. (SADESI)