Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Tim Sneddon <ti...@bigpond.com> on 2010/04/19 17:18:06 UTC

OpenVMS support for Commons Exec...

Hi,

I am currently in the process of porting Maven (and all the
bit and pieces it drags in) to OpenVMS.  One of the things it
drags in is Commons Exec.  So I have done a bit of work to
get it running properly (I found the existing support for VMS
to be lacking) and now I would like to hopefully have this go
back into the source pool.

So, I was wondering how I go about getting this stuff passed
back into the source pool.  The stuff I read mentioned
submitting a patch via JIRA.  Is that all I have to do?  Is
there a contribution agreement I need to fill out?

Also, are there many other OpenVMS users out there?

Is there a current maintainer for OpenVMS support?

Thanks, Tim.

Re: OpenVMS support for Commons Exec...

Posted by Jeffrey Brekke <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
We used OpenVMS at work.  I can test some things out if needed.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Tim Sneddon <ti...@bigpond.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently in the process of porting Maven (and all the
> bit and pieces it drags in) to OpenVMS.  One of the things it
> drags in is Commons Exec.  So I have done a bit of work to
> get it running properly (I found the existing support for VMS
> to be lacking) and now I would like to hopefully have this go
> back into the source pool.
>
> So, I was wondering how I go about getting this stuff passed
> back into the source pool.  The stuff I read mentioned
> submitting a patch via JIRA.  Is that all I have to do?  Is
> there a contribution agreement I need to fill out?
>
> Also, are there many other OpenVMS users out there?
>
> Is there a current maintainer for OpenVMS support?
>
> Thanks, Tim.

Jeffrey D. Brekke
Wisconsin,  USA

ekkerbj@gmail.com
jbrekke@wi.rr.com
brekke@apache.org

Re: OpenVMS support for Commons Exec...

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19/04/2010, Tim Sneddon <ti...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> On 19/04/2010 11:31 PM, sebb wrote:
>
> > On 19/04/2010, Tim Sneddon<ti...@bigpond.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  I am currently in the process of porting Maven (and all the
> > >  bit and pieces it drags in) to OpenVMS.  One of the things it
> > >  drags in is Commons Exec.  So I have done a bit of work to
> > >  get it running properly (I found the existing support for VMS
> > >  to be lacking) and now I would like to hopefully have this go
> > >  back into the source pool.
> > >
> > >  So, I was wondering how I go about getting this stuff passed
> > >  back into the source pool.  The stuff I read mentioned
> > >  submitting a patch via JIRA.  Is that all I have to do?  Is
> > >  there a contribution agreement I need to fill out?
> > >

> > JIRA is normally sufficient for a patch.
> >

>  Excellent.  I'll post it in the morning (quite late, here in
>  Australia :-).
>

> > For larger contributions, then a CLA may be required.
> >
> > http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas
> >

>  Thanks.  I've filled that out.  I'll scan it and send it on.
>

> > >  Also, are there many other OpenVMS users out there?
> > >

> > I used to use OpenVMS in my day job (and had used it since VMS 5.x on
> > VAX) but I've not used it for a couple of years.
> >

> > >  Is there a current maintainer for OpenVMS support?
> > >

> > I did a bit of work on the OpenVMS parts of Exec and fixed a few
> > problems a while back.
> >
> > However I did not fix all the problems; at the time there seemed to be
> > some limitations in the VMS JVM implementation that made it very
> > difficult to get Exec working as well on VMS as it does elsewhere,
> > particularly in regard to process termination.
> >

>  Do you have more information on this?  I'd like to investigate it.  I
>  have tweaked it to follow the same logic as the C run-time library
>  exec*() functions.

At the time (May 2008), I wrote:

"There seems to be a problem with the behaviour of process destroy on
VMS - it does not always guarantee that the process is destroyed. I
think that is a JVM bug."

IIRC this was something to do with launching processes via a DCL script.

It should show up in the test cases - either as a failure or as a
specific exemption for VMS to avoid the failure.

Posted by Tim Sneddon <ti...@bigpond.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.