Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Smith G <gu...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/28 15:12:06 UTC

field based boosting

Hello All,
               I am having a trouble in following an approach for
field boosting. I have possibility of two cases in searching. One is
similar to DisMax, which uses field boosting, and the second one is
normal. To go for which of them is based on user query ( probably
inside query parser). So I can not use DisMax as default, but I need
to provide field based boosting.
      To be brief, looking at query string,
1) if there are no fields supplied as part of the query, I need to
search for the input-query terms in a set of default field list
including support for field boosting.

2) If the user has supplied some field name as part of the query then
I do some other modifications to the query like query expansion, etc.

          As , whether the field name is provided are not is to be
judged in query parser ( as far as I know ), which might be the right
way of providing both of above features.

Thanks.

Re: field based boosting

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:
: 2) If the user has supplied some field name as part of the query then
: I do some other modifications to the query like query expansion, etc.

...you are a bit vague on what the "other modifications" are, so i'm not
sure if it will help, but there is a new experimental "edismax" parser in
the trunk right now that aims to support the same types of things as
"dismax" but with some extra bells and whistles (like: if the query string
contains "xxx:yyy" and "xxx" is a real field then just search for "yyy" in
that field, not in all the qf fields)

So you might check it out.

barring that...

: judged in query parser ( as far as I know ), which might be the right
: way of providing both of above features.

...you can write a custom QParserPlugin that does exactly what you want.

-Hoss