Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Eron Wright <ew...@live.com> on 2016/03/25 00:10:01 UTC

Kerberos for Streaming & Kafka

Hi,
Given the other thread about per-job Kerberos identity, now's a good time to discuss some problems with the current delegation-token approach, since the answer could bear on the per-job enhancement.
Two problems:Delegation tokens expire.  For a continuous streaming job to survive, the original keytab is needed to re-authenticate.   Spark Streaming solved this problem with `--keytab` on spark-submit (see AMDelegationTokenRenewer.scala).Kafka doesn't support delegation tokens yet (see KIP-48 and KAFKA-1696).
Thoughts?  Thanks!
- Eron Wright

Re: Kerberos for Streaming & Kafka

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
Hi Eron,

Thank you for your feedback! Indeed, we have seen in the past, that
Hadoop's Delegation Tokens are not meant to renewed over a long
period. Plus, they have a number of subtle bugs in older versions that
sometimes prevent renewal.

What you suggest, sounds like a good approach to me. It would
basically mean that we handle have our own renewal system and do not
rely on Hadoop's token renewal system.

Improving long-running Kerberos jobs:
Kafka Kerberos support JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3239

Thanks,