Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Thomas L Richards <tl...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/06/08 22:48:42 UTC

Problem With Struts and Tomcat

Ok, I've got a bit of a headache and here's the cause:

I'm using Visual Age for Java 3.5.2, with Tomcat 3.1. That works fine.
I installed Struts 1.0-b3 with Xerces 1.4.0.
Then I installed the struts-example.war file. That installed fine too
(Tomcat took care of it).
However, where my headache seems to be occurring is when I try to access a
struts driven application.
I have tried several of the "sample" apps, but every time I get this error:

Root cause:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cant remove Attributes from request
scope
        java.lang.Throwable(java.lang.String)
        java.lang.Exception(java.lang.String)
        java.lang.RuntimeException(java.lang.String)
        java.lang.IllegalArgumentException(java.lang.String)
        void
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.removeAttribute(java.lang.String,
int)
        int org.apache.struts.taglib.html.FormTag.doEndTag()
        void _0002fregistration_0002ejspregistration_jsp_0.
_jspService(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
        void
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,

javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
        void
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,
javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
        void
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,

javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse, boolean)
        void
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,

javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse, java.lang.String,
java.lang.Throwable, boolean)
        void
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,

javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
        void
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,
javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
        void
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(org.apache.tomcat.core.Request,

org.apache.tomcat.core.Response)
        void
org.apache.tomcat.core.RequestDispatcherImpl.forward(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,

javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
        void
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processActionForward(org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward,

org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping,
org.apache.struts.action.ActionForm, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
        void
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,

javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
        void
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,

javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
        void
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,

javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
        void
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,
javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
        void
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(org.apache.tomcat.core.Request,

org.apache.tomcat.core.Response)
        void
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(org.apache.tomcat.core.Request,

org.apache.tomcat.core.Response)
        void
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnection,

java.lang.Object [])
        void org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run()
        void java.lang.Thread.run()

This was generated with the "Register with the MailReader Demonstration
Application " that came with the struts-example.war file (out of the box).

However, I received this exact same type of error with a different example
(that didn't come from the Jakarta project). This leads me to believe
that there's some sort of incompatibility or config problem going on. If
anyone has any idea about this, or has seen this before, please enlighten
me.

Thanks!

-Tom

Re: Problem With Struts and Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Thomas L Richards wrote:

> Ok, I've got a bit of a headache and here's the cause:
>
> I'm using Visual Age for Java 3.5.2, with Tomcat 3.1. That works fine.
> I installed Struts 1.0-b3 with Xerces 1.4.0.
> Then I installed the struts-example.war file. That installed fine too
> (Tomcat took care of it).
> However, where my headache seems to be occurring is when I try to access a
> struts driven application.
> I have tried several of the "sample" apps, but every time I get this error:
>
> Root cause:
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cant remove Attributes from request
> scope

Tomcat 3.1 was broken here -- as a couple of other containers are
apparently still broken.  Tomcat 3.1 also has a bunch of other bugs that
will make life unpleasant for people building Struts apps -- I'd really
encourage upgrading to 3.2.2 if you can.

Craig