Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Nancy Kotsifakis <we...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/19 00:55:23 UTC

Download link

HI all,

I know to download from openoffice.org. I was curious about the link
apacheopenoffice.org and got into all kinds of pop up survey boxes and
such. WHOis.net shows apacheopenoffice.org owned by a private name in NZ
since 2011.  Since Open Office is officially called Apache Open Office,
could this domain be acquired?
Nancy

Re: Download link

Posted by Bakhtiyor Khujaev <kh...@gmail.com>.
yes, it could be acquired unless there is any legal dispute over the use of
the domain name.

For example, you barely can use the domain name like fordautosatnz.com and
sell the cars of other manufacturers - it is called domain name trade mark
misuse and soon the domain will be taken away from you by Ford Inc.

Also it is not welcomed when at a domain name with Open Office you would be
making money selling a commercial competitor of Open office. Since
OpenOffice is free to use, there can be hardly any legal case.

Therefore before discussing if someone can register and use a domain name
with some well known trademark please also consider if the product is
free/in public domain and what sort of monetization is made at that domain
name.

С уважением,
Бахтиёр Хужаев

Cell: +7 985 217 40 40 (Call/SMS/iMessage/Viber/WhatsApp/WeChat/Telegram)
Skype: priorumlab