Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com> on 2009/11/24 14:07:00 UTC

about using ofbiz as a platform

hi all,

I try to build a new application using ofbiz. Basically, I want to use the
nice overall architect of ofbiz, theme mechanism and
Party/Permission/SecurityGroup. However, I found it is very difficult to
remove unnecessary components.

For example, entitymodel.xml from applications/party uses ContactListParty,
which is from marketing component. I think such dependency doesn't make much
sense, as marketing is only an optional component but party is a must.

What's the best practice for my case? Advices and clues will be very
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Michael Xu

Re: about using ofbiz as a platform

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Adrian,

Yes, I agree with you for most issues. However, in my opinion this one seems
special, which might cause many fundamental changes. I guess a top-down
approach is more practical.

Michael Xu (xudong)
www.wizitsoft.com | Office: (8610) 6267 0615 ext 806 | Mobile: (86) 135 0135
9807 | Fax: (8610) 62670096

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Michael,

We need to:

- decide whether to create a new component for managing accounts and
permissions or use webtools.
- decide on what content should go into these screens.

As mentioned by Jacopo, some of this may have already been done by Adrian:

Cheers,

Chris

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Chris,

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Chris,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks to keep this up to date Bruno

Jacques

From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
I agree with Jacopo. Basically each ofbiz component can define its own admin
stuff (like user management in security). In terms of how to show those
stuff, that should be left to framework users. Maybe some users prefer to
aggregate all admin stuff from different components into webtools or
MyPortals. Maybe some users prefer to put admin stuff in each component.

Just an idea: If webtools is the central place for administration, can we
implement it like MyPortal that webtools can automatically load admin stuff
from different components?

Michael Xu (xudong)
www.wizitsoft.com | Office: (8610) 6267 0615 ext 806 | Mobile: (86) 135 0135
9807 | Fax: (8610) 62670096

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Dec 10, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Christopher Snow wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Does the framework just need user account and permission management? or,
> does it need party/organisation management too?

The framework just needs user/security; parties, persons and organizations cannot be referenced by the framework level components.

Jacopo

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Michael, Chris

As Scott said, I also wonder if Adrian did not begin something more open (Atlassian Crowd, etc.). I'd wait his answer because I
found only this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-811 related to specialpurpose/ldap

Jacques
()  ascii ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org

From: "Christopher Snow" <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Chris,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Christopher,

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Jacopo,

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Adrian, thanks for the feedback - jira created OFBIZ-3329.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
You are right Christopher.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Christopher,

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
Sounds good to me!

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adrian,

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi,

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bruno,

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Bruno,

Thanks for your reply. I wish I could make it by myself. However, it turns
out too challenging for me. I think it is more piratical if one or more
committer could lead the overall process.

At this moment, what I can suggest is that the current big ofbiz might need
to be split into sub projects, like framework, ERP, CRM, eCommerce, etc.

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
hi Bruno,

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Michael,

I have added this comment for you (it's better to keep things together)
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Component+and+Component+Set+Dependencies?focusedCommentId=9373263#comment-9373263

Jacques

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.
This question feels like it should be a FAQ...