Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1997/06/20 20:46:47 UTC

Re: Reporting OS type

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> I would -1 any attempt to add the OS version.  -0 on adding "NT"
> somewhere, but actual OS names and versions are a BAD thing IMHO.

Based on NT's existing "security" reputation and the fact that almost
all other NT server implicitly give away the info via their names I
don't see any real problem with Apache running on an NT declaring itself
as such.

BTW, isn't there a program one can run than knocks over NT boxes ?. Maybe
Netcraft can use that.. run the code against all servers and then count
how many stay up :-)