Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by tracy ann essoglou <ta...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/08 19:36:09 UTC

Encounter with Oracle... after downloading OpenOffice

Dear Open Office,
You should disassociate with Oracle and its pop-up registration requests
asap, lest friendly users of your hard work continue to be treated as I
was, tainting your reputation and product. The following was just sent to
Oracle after getting stuck in an Oracle registration fiasco prompted by
Oracle in the name of Open Office!

"This is easily the most aggressively rude behavior I have ever encountered
from a tech support department. I was directed to register with Oracle by
an Oracle popup screen after having downloaded a new version of OpenOffice
(the 5th time in 7 years). I have no interest in Oracle or its affairs but
followed the link asking me to register thinking that this was a new event
in the OpenOffice system. I successfully logged in and created a profile.
Today the register popup reappeared so I followed it and tried to log in.
After several failed attempts with my password I was locked out. So I
proceeded to ask for a new password. I was sent one to my email. I copied
it and entered it into the appropriate fields but it was refused. I
verified my account and tried again receiving a second password. I repeated
all the steps to no avail and received indication to call the toll free
number. I was talked over by the attendant twice who actually refused help,
told me that I had  called the wrong number despite the fact that I called
the toll free number appearing on my screen and was directed to him by a
human operator. The attendant didn't care, offered no assistance, kept
repeating that he existed only for paying customers, disputed the chain of
events without even listening to them and twice hung up on me in
mid-sentence. Customer service!? No guy who hates his job and should live
amongst machines and not be on a service call-line. Now I am looking to
resign my profile entirely from Oracle and cannot find that information
either. PLEASE CLOSE MY ORACLE PROFILE IMMEDIATELY.
Dr. Tracy Ann Essoglou"

Good luck and thank you.
Tracy Ann Essoglou, PhD.
PhD: Philosophy of Communications
MA: Media Studies
BA: Anthropology, Semiotics & Cultural Studies

Re: Encounter with Oracle... after downloading OpenOffice

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:36:09 -0500
tracy ann essoglou <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Open Office,
> You should disassociate with Oracle and its pop-up registration
> requests asap, lest friendly users of your hard work continue
> to be treated as I was, tainting your reputation and product.
> The following was just sent to Oracle after getting stuck in an
> Oracle registration fiasco prompted by Oracle in the name of
> Open Office!
>

> "This is easily the most aggressively rude behavior I have ever
> encountered from a tech support department. I was directed to
> register with Oracle by an Oracle popup screen after having
> downloaded a new version of OpenOffice (the 5th time in 7
> years). I have no interest in Oracle or its affairs but
> followed the link asking me to register thinking that this was
> a new event in the OpenOffice system. I successfully logged in
> and created a profile. Today the register popup reappeared so I
> followed it and tried to log in. After several failed attempts
> with my password I was locked out. So I proceeded to ask for a
> new password. I was sent one to my email. I copied it and
> entered it into the appropriate fields but it was refused. I
> verified my account and tried again receiving a second
> password. I repeated all the steps to no avail and received
> indication to call the toll free number. I was talked over by
> the attendant twice who actually refused help, told me that I
> had  called the wrong number despite the fact that I called the
> toll free number appearing on my screen and was directed to him
> by a human operator. The attendant didn't care, offered no
> assistance, kept repeating that he existed only for paying
> customers, disputed the chain of events without even listening
> to them and twice hung up on me in mid-sentence. Customer
> service!? No guy who hates his job and should live amongst
> machines and not be on a service call-line. Now I am looking to
> resign my profile entirely from Oracle and cannot find that
> information either. PLEASE CLOSE MY ORACLE PROFILE IMMEDIATELY.
> Dr. Tracy Ann Essoglou"
>

>From which location did you download your most recent
copy of OpenOffice?
--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Encounter with Oracle... after downloading OpenOffice

Posted by Peter Brawley <pe...@earthlink.net>.
On 3/8/2012 12:36 PM, tracy ann essoglou wrote:
> Dear Open Office,
> You should disassociate with Oracle and its pop-up registration requests
> asap, lest friendly users of your hard work continue to be treated as I
> was, tainting your reputation and product. The following was just sent to
> Oracle after getting stuck in an Oracle registration fiasco prompted by
> Oracle in the name of Open Office!

Tracy,

Oracle gave up on OOo months ago, gave it to Apache, so your best option
might be to migrate to that fork.

PB

-----