Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/25 02:16:06 UTC

PPMC docs query

The PPMC docs ( http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html ) currently say:

"Only votes cast by (P)PMC members are binding. If the vote is
positive, the contributor formally becomes an Apache  committer. A
(P)PMC member should then follow the documented procedures to complete
the process, but please CC both the Incubator PMC and the PPMC when
sending the necessary e-mails to root."

What does (P)PMC mean? Should it be replaced with PPMC or PMC?

Hen

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 1/26/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/07, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/25/07, Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Hola,
> > > I think for a while we used PPMC and (P)PMC interchange-ably.  We've
> > > more or less standardized on PPMC now, so the docs should probably be
> > > updated.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > probably needs a little care since some of the older guides use PMC to
> > mean IPMC. i'd like each occurance of a term should link into the
> > roles document.

> > i suspect that i was trying to be clever (never a wise move)
> >
> > should be something like 'Either an IPMC or PPMC member should then' etc
>
> So to confirm I have this right...
>
> A PPMC can vote to add a new ASF committer. They don't need a binding
> IPMC vote (ie: no mentors, no pmc@incubator people).  ?

not sure :-/

i can't see anything definite in policy about it

- robert

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jan 29, 2007, at 5:26 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 1/28/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>> committer.
>> > So to confirm I have this right...
>> >
>> > A PPMC can vote to add a new ASF committer. They don't need a
>> binding
>> > IPMC vote (ie: no mentors, no pmc@incubator people).  ?
>>
>> Hmm. Regardless of what that documentation says, I think that's
>> wrong.
>>
>> Pragmatically...
>>    * New account requests are only to be made by PMC chairs
>>      (or trusted delegates I guess), and CC-ed to private@
>>
>>    * New account requests should only be made after a CLA is
>>      recorded, and a PPMC doesn't (always) have access to the CLA
>>      registry
>>
>>    (this from memory, I haven't read the new account docs for a
>> while).
>>
>> Principally...
>>    * getting 3 binding +1s from people on a formal PMC established by
>>      the ASF board doesn't seem to be too "heavyweight" for something
>>      as significant as creating shell/svn/email accounts and handing
>>      out other committer privileges
>>
>> I think the vote should be by the PPMC, but there should be enough
>> PMC members casting a vote to make it "super-duper-binding". That's
>> what we did with harmony while it was incubating (eg votes on
>> harmony-
>> private@incubator, mentors always casting votes, too).

The terminology here (P)PMC is confusing. I'd like to clean this up.

On many PPMCs, there are only three IPMC members (the mentors). It's
often tough to get these very busy people to vote.

But I agree that on an issue as important as commit rights to Apache,
I think that the requirement should be for three binding (IPMC) votes.

And after the successful vote, one of the mentors needs to follow up
to set up the accounts, as the non-mentor PPMC members don't have the
karma.

Craig

> +1
>
> - robert

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/29/07, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/28/07, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > > So to confirm I have this right...
> > >
> > > A PPMC can vote to add a new ASF committer. They don't need a binding
> > > IPMC vote (ie: no mentors, no pmc@incubator people).  ?
> >
> > Hmm. Regardless of what that documentation says, I think that's wrong.
> >
> > Pragmatically...
> >    * New account requests are only to be made by PMC chairs
> >      (or trusted delegates I guess), and CC-ed to private@
> >
> >    * New account requests should only be made after a CLA is
> >      recorded, and a PPMC doesn't (always) have access to the CLA
> >      registry
> >
> >    (this from memory, I haven't read the new account docs for a while).
> >
> > Principally...
> >    * getting 3 binding +1s from people on a formal PMC established by
> >      the ASF board doesn't seem to be too "heavyweight" for something
> >      as significant as creating shell/svn/email accounts and handing
> >      out other committer privileges
> >
> > I think the vote should be by the PPMC, but there should be enough
> > PMC members casting a vote to make it "super-duper-binding". That's
> > what we did with harmony while it was incubating (eg votes on harmony-
> > private@incubator, mentors always casting votes, too).
>
> +1

That's what I was expecting to hear before I read the documentation -
that a new committer was the same as a release.

+1

Hen

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Jan 26, 2007, at 2:26 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> So to confirm I have this right...
>
> A PPMC can vote to add a new ASF committer. They don't need a binding
> IPMC vote (ie: no mentors, no pmc@incubator people).  ?

Hmm. Regardless of what that documentation says, I think that's wrong.

Pragmatically...
   * New account requests are only to be made by PMC chairs
     (or trusted delegates I guess), and CC-ed to private@

   * New account requests should only be made after a CLA is
     recorded, and a PPMC doesn't (always) have access to the CLA
     registry

   (this from memory, I haven't read the new account docs for a while).

Principally...
   * getting 3 binding +1s from people on a formal PMC established by
     the ASF board doesn't seem to be too "heavyweight" for something
     as significant as creating shell/svn/email accounts and handing
     out other committer privileges

I think the vote should be by the PPMC, but there should be enough
PMC members casting a vote to make it "super-duper-binding". That's
what we did with harmony while it was incubating (eg votes on harmony-
private@incubator, mentors always casting votes, too).

cheers!

- Leo

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: PPMC docs query

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,
I think for a while we used PPMC and (P)PMC interchange-ably.  We've
more or less standardized on PPMC now, so the docs should probably be
updated.

Yoav