Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Gino Bustelo <gi...@bustelos.com> on 2016/03/02 16:32:28 UTC

Update on Apache Toree and LGPL dependency

Wanted to give folks an update on our progress with dealing with JeroMQ, an
LGPL package that enables us to communicate via 0MQ. The 0MQ community is
very aware of the issues with LGPL (LGPLv3 + static link exception) and it
is their intention to try to move projects to MPL v2. This is not an easy
task depending on the age and size of the projects.

Apache Toree's API access point is through the 0MQ transport layer (using
JeroMQ) and that is how Apache Toree connects out-of-the-box with Jupyter,
a very common way of consuming Apache Toree that is already in production.

At this point, the JeroMQ project is still released under LGPL, but our
team initiated communications in mid-February with members of the JeroMQ
community to begin their transition to MPL v2 (
https://github.com/zeromq/jeromq/issues/326). The JeroMQ community reacted
very positively and quickly began the process of collecting votes from
their committers (https://github.com/zeromq/jeromq/issues/327). After 15
days, the current tally stands at 26 out of 32 committers have agreed to
switch license.

Apache Toree has a JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOREE-262)
where we keep all the relevant links and update with the latest
information. As that process is underway, we will move forward with plans
to release a 0.1.0 version of Apache Toree based on the precedence set by
Apache Mynewt (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201602.mbox/%3C5F118AA0-4ADA-403B-A6EB-4A85F0B30651%40me.com%3E
).

Thanks,
Gino

Re: Update on Apache Toree and LGPL dependency

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1

Posted by Gino Bustelo <lb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.