Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Siarhei Dudzin <si...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/27 17:49:16 UTC

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin 2.4 & versioned projec

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Salman Moghal <sm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks so much for the response.  Yes, I agree that it would be ideal if
> the name of the generated jar/war/ear file is kept same as the project
> directory name -- I believe that's what finalName does as per the docs (?).
>  However, my teammates responsible for maven builds don't like the idea at
> all.. tried really hard to convince otherwise even before we ran into this
> issue.  They want the generated file name template to contain project POM
> version, e.g. given POM project name "myproject" and POM version 1.0, the
> name of the generated JAR file will be myproject-1.0.jar.  Same goes for
> WAR and EAR modules.   And as soon as version'd project names are used,
> where the physical directory name does not contain POM version numbers
> obviously, it causes RAD 6/7 loose configuration to fail miserably, in
> context of WebSphere v6.1 runtime.

It is indeed as you mentioned finalName.
If they don't want to have final name fixed you could probably somehow parse
the ibm-specific deployment descriptors. Because artifact names are actually
hardcoded there. So if your version changes - you have a problem.

> Since you brought up maven-eclipse-plugin 2.5, it seems like it's pretty
> close to being officially realized.  Do you have the exact timeframe as to
> when it will be?  Days.. weeks.. months?

Hard to say, my impression is that it's in the state of "days" for a few
weeks now...

> I will take a look at the maven-eclipse-plugin 2.5 SNAPSHOT code.  The
> alternative is to recompile maven-eclipse-plugin 2.4 with the one-line
> code change as outlined earlier.. which I plan on doing today.  Any
> thoughts on this approach?

It's likely you will run into many more issues. To know which ones you can
see at all the closed issues that are scheduled for 2.5 release. I can tell
you in advance - if you use webservices you will have a problem.

It's really easier just to use 2.5-SNAPSHOT (unless you use release plugin).

Siarhei