Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Petr Sumbera <Pe...@Sun.COM> on 2007/07/27 17:20:43 UTC

Tomcat with/without Tomcat native library

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have experience or even better some numbers comparing
performance of Tomcat running with and without Tomcat native library
(libtcnative-1)?

I don't see any comparable difference so far (using TC 5.5.23, Native
Library 1.1.10, Solaris/i386).

Cheers,

Petr

Re: Tomcat with/without Tomcat native library

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Petr Sumbera" <Pe...@Sun.COM> wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Does anybody have experience or even better some numbers comparing
> performance of Tomcat running with and without Tomcat native library
> (libtcnative-1)?
>
> I don't see any comparable difference so far (using TC 5.5.23, Native
> Library 1.1.10, Solaris/i386).

On Solaris there wasn't a big difference last time I profiled it.  On
Solaris, it doesn't cost much to have a large number of threads blocking on
input, so you don't get a lot from the APR Poller.  Also, the Solaris JVM is
pretty optimized for the OS.  From testing with the AJP Connectors, you
might have noticible improvements with TC 6 and the NIO Connector on
Solaris, but I haven't profiled it myself.

It's with Linux boxes (I haven't seen reports for other *nixs) with older
kernels that you see the most improvement when using the APR Connector.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Petr Sumbera wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Does anybody have experience or even better some numbers comparing
> performance of Tomcat running with and without Tomcat native library
> (libtcnative-1)?
most definitely, the APR connector lets you do keep alive connections on
more connections than you have threads
and also, biggest gain is of course SSL, OpenSSL vs Java SSL

Filip