Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk...@att.com> on 2011/01/14 19:35:37 UTC

SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

This is a continuation of my experiences described in the "What SVN
command-line client distro should I get to work properly with SVN 1.4.x
on the server?" subject.

My SVN server is running version 1.4.x.  I'm using the latest Subversive
in Eclipse, but the connector associated with SVN 1.5.6.  This works
well enough in Eclipse.

I installed SVN 1.6.15 from CollabNet.  I created a new directory from
the shell and did a checkout of two of the projects I have checked out
in Eclipse.  One of them completed successfully, but another one fails
each time with an error like the following:

svn: Your .svn/tmp directory may be missing or corrupt; run 'svn
cleanup' and try again
svn: Can't open file '...\.svn\tmp\text-base\....svn-base': The system
cannot find the path specified.

I elided the full path to the file.

I looked in the "text-base" directory being referenced here, and it's
empty.

I did a "svn cleanup", and it chugged for a second and then went back to
the prompt.

I tried the checkout again, and it failed with the exact same error.

I also tried changing into the directory and doing "svn update", and
that also failed with the same error.

Any ideas?

RE: SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

Posted by Tony Sweeney <ts...@omnifone.com>.

Only in the client.  If your workspaces are disjoint then that should
have worked.  Subversion doesn't keep any record of workspace state
(more's the pity).

Tony.

Re: SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM, KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) <dk...@att.com> wrote:

> Just so we're clear here, I have these projects checked out in Eclipse,
> but not in the same directory that I'm trying to do the command-line
> checkout.  I'm trying to do a separate checkout of these projects, just
> using the 1.6.15 client.  I'm not using multiple client versions in the
> same checked-out directory, but I am attempting to checkout a module
> from SVN with the 1.6.15 client that has been previously checked out
> with different client versions.

As long as you are careful this is fine.  The tool to watch out for is
TortoiseSVN.  Since it runs in Windows explorer you have to be sure
not to even browse into these folders or else TortoiseSVN code is
triggered and it can update the working copy.  Using the command line
it is obviously easier to avoid the working copies you do not want to
touch.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

RE: SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

Posted by "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk...@att.com>.

System.

Posted by Tony Sweeney <ts...@omnifone.com>.
You can't mix Subversion client releases where the middle digit of the
version number differs.  Subversion clients are backwards compatible
when talking to the server, but not when writing workspace metadata to
the filesystem.  You can, in theory, use whatever version you like on
the client side against any server version.  However, when you invoke a

Posted by "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk...@att.com>.

Eclipse
> is
> > referencing absolute paths, but using the command line client is
> using
> > relative paths?  Assuming that's the distinction, is there some way
> > could use the command-line client in a different way that might
avoid
> > this problem?
>
> Pass absolute paths to the cmdline client when you invoke it :)
>
> (svn 1.7 will use absolute paths internally)

Bingo.  That did the trick.  Thanks.

Re: SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by David Huang <kh...@azeotrope.org>.
On Jan 14, 2011, at 6:31 PM, KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean.  You're saying that Subversive in Eclipse is
> referencing absolute paths, but using the command line client is using
> relative paths?  Assuming that's the distinction, is there some way I
> could use the command-line client in a different way that might avoid
> this problem?

The SVN library used by the commandline client uses the Apache Portable Runtime library (apr), which IIRC, uses the special "\\?\" prefix when needed to support long pathnames. I don't know much about Subversive, but perhaps it doesn't do that trick?

P.S. Your mail server (att.com?) doesn't seem to like me :( At least my first email to you was bounced back by MessageLabs saying there was something wrong with the content.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 35 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++

RE: SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

Posted by "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk...@att.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk...@att.com>.

Posted by David Huang <kh...@azeotrope.org>.
On Jan 14, 2011, at 2:19 PM, KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) wrote:
> I then looked at the full local path this file would represent, and the entire path is 260 characters long.  I would think if there's any threshold, it would be at 255, not 259.
>
> Any idea what's going on here?

The usual maximum path length limit on Windows is indeed 259 (or 260 if you count the terminating NUL): See the "Maximum Path Length Limitation" section of http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 34 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++

Re: SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 14, 2011, at 14:19, KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) wrote:

> Hmm.  I think I found a big clue.  When I do the checkout, I'm giving it an alternate name.  The "svn checkout" doc is clear that this is legal.  In other words, I'm doing "svn checkout svn:... desiredname".
>
> I've tried doing this several times, and it almost always fails on trying to check out this particular file.
>
> I just tried doing the checkout again, but without the alternate name, and it completed without error.
>
> I then tried changing the checkout to use a "simpler" alternate name.  I was using a name like "projectname-branch".  I then tried "projectname-a".  Both of these fail.  If I instead use an alternate name of "a", or "projectname" (using the original project name), or "a-a", those all succeed.
>
> I then tried using an alternate name of "projectnamexx".  That fails with the same error.
>
> I then tried "abcdefghijklmnopqr" (actually all the iterations before that), and that succeeds, but "abcdefghijklmnopqrs" (one more letter) fails.
>
> I then looked at the full local path this file would represent, and the entire path is 260 characters long.  I would think if there's any threshold, it would be at 255, not 259.
>
> Any idea what's going on here?

I don't know what the exact limit is, but it is around 255, and you've clearly hit it, and will need to content yourself with using shorter paths.

RE: SVN 1.6.15 checkout fails on particular file

Posted by "KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)" <dk...@att.com>.

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.