Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by David Li <li...@apache.org> on 2023/02/09 15:05:24 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Arrow ADBC 0.2.0 - RC1

Hello,

I would like to propose the following release candidate (RC1) of Apache Arrow ADBC version 0.2.0. This is a release consisting of 34 resolved GitHub issues [1].

This release candidate is based on commit: de79252f70dfc145b853530f328b0c6dfed3085f [2]

The source release rc1 is hosted at [3].
The binary artifacts are hosted at [4][5][6][7][8].
The changelog is located at [9].

Please download, verify checksums and signatures, run the unit tests, and vote on the release. See [10] for how to validate a release candidate.

See also a verification result on GitHub Actions [11].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this as Apache Arrow ADBC 0.2.0
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this as Apache Arrow ADBC 0.2.0 because...

Note: to verify APT/YUM packages on macOS/AArch64, you must `export DOCKER_DEFAULT_ARCHITECTURE=linux/amd64`. (Or skip this step by `export TEST_APT=0 TEST_YUM=0`.)

Thanks to Kou for his help with the release.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+milestone%3A%22ADBC+Libraries+0.2.0%22
[2]: https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/tree/apache-arrow-adbc-0.2.0-rc1
[3]: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/arrow/apache-arrow-adbc-0.2.0-rc1/
[4]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/almalinux-rc/
[5]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/debian-rc/
[6]: https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow/ubuntu-rc/
[7]: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/staging/org/apache/arrow/adbc/
[8]: https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/releases/tag/apache-arrow-adbc-0.2.0-rc1
[9]: https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/blob/apache-arrow-adbc-0.2.0-rc1/CHANGELOG.md
[10]: https://arrow.apache.org/adbc/main/development/releasing.html#how-to-verify-release-candidates
[11]: https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/actions/runs/4135206064

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Arrow ADBC 0.2.0 - RC1

Posted by Will Jones <wi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Verified on MacOS with (TEST_APT=0 TEST_YUM=0 USE_CONDA=1) and Ubuntu 22.04
with (USE_CONDA=1).

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Jianfeng,

Posted by Jianfeng Mao <ji...@deephaven.io>.

Posted by Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 at 00:55, Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
>   "Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Arrow ADBC 0.2.0 - RC1" on Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:19:50 +0100,
>   Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > current directory:
> > /tmp/adbc-verification/apache-arrow-adbc-0.2.0/glib/vendor/bundle/ruby/3.1.0/gems/fiddle-1.1.1/ext/fiddle
> > make DESTDIR\= install
> > make: /usr/bin/mkdir: Command not found
> > make: *** [Makefile:203: .sitearchdir.time] Error 127
> >
> > David mentioned that it's an issue with how ruby gets installed on
> > ubuntu: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/64653051/make-usr-bin-mkdir-command-not-found-during-gem-install-nokogiri-in-ubuntu
>
> Thanks.
>
> I took a look at this situation. "sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mkdir /bin/mkdir"
> is a reasonable workaround. "sudo apt install -y ruby"
> instead of using RVM is another workaround.
>

> Ubuntu 20.04 or later uses /bin as a symbolic link of
> /usr/bin. So both of /usr/bin/mkdir and /bin/mkdir are valid
> on Ubuntu 20.04.
>
> But a system that was upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 from Ubuntu
> 18.04 doesn't use /bin as a symbolic link of /usr/bin. So
> /usr/bin/mkdir doesn't exist.

This was indeed the case for me.
Thanks for the extensive response!

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Post-release tasks:

[x] Close the GitHub milestone/project
[x] Add the new release to the Apache Reporter System
[x] Upload source release artifacts to Subversion
[x] Create the final GitHub release
[x] Update website
[x] Upload wheels/sdist to PyPI
[x] Publish Maven packages
[x] Update tags for Go modules
[x] Deploy APT/Yum repositories
[x] Upload Ruby packages to RubyGems
[x] Announce the new release
[x] Remove old artifacts
[x] Bump versions
[x] Publish release blog post: https://arrow.apache.org/blog/2023/02/16/adbc-0.2.0-release/

Thanks all for helping!

Posted by Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
> not finding /usr/bin/mkdir

Could you show the log of this?

In <CA...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Arrow ADBC 0.2.0 - RC1" on Wed, 15 Feb 2023 13:46:06 +0100,

Re: [RESULT] Release Apache Arrow ADBC 0.2.0 - RC1

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Thanks Kou, it worked!

[IN PROGRESS] Publish release blog post: https://github.com/apache/arrow-site/pull/319

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.