Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mi...@systeam.se on 2007/08/09 14:50:52 UTC

Can not get Tomcat5 to listen to JPDA port

Hi,

I am running Tomcat 5.5 (5.5.23-0jpp.1.0.4.el5) on Red Hat Enterprise 5
and can not get Tomcat to listen to port 8000 using JPDA. Searching the
mailing list archive did not hint to any solution.

I have verified that the actual call to the JVM includes the documented
parameters -Xdebug and -Xrunjdwp (see below). Tomcat starts fine and all
the webapps works properly. The problem is that netstat does not show any
process listening on port 8000. We have the same problem on another
machine running Fedora Core 6.

Starting tomcat using "jpda start" results in the following running
process:

/etc/alternatives/java_sdk/bin/java -Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n
-Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classpath
/etc/alternatives/java_sdk/lib/tools.jar:/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar:/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-impl.jar:/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-jmx.jar
-Dcatalina.base=/usr/share/tomcat5 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat5
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/share/tomcat5/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

No errors message occurrs in the catalina.out log file.

I use jpda-based debugging successfully on another machine running Tomcat
4.1.30 on a much older Red Hat release.

Since no one else seem to have this problem I assume that am I missing
something?

Best regards,
Mikael Gustafsson

Re: Can not get Tomcat5 to listen to JPDA port

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
I have an original Tomcat-version (5.5) running here on Debian Edge,
and my JPDA-startup-script reads as:

#!/bin/sh
export JPDA_ADDRESS=8787
export JPDA_TRANSPORT=dt_socket
/home/tomcat/www/bin/catalina.sh jpda start

Try this (run it as user tomcat), but first change the default port
8787 to 8000 and let us know if it works.

If not, please also post the output of netstat -lnp

Btw. my catalina.sh is the original one.

Cheers

Gregor
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

RE: Can not get Tomcat5 to listen to JPDA port

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: mikael.gustafsson@systeam.se
> [mailto:mikael.gustafsson@systeam.se]
> Subject: Can not get Tomcat5 to listen to JPDA port
>
> I am running Tomcat 5.5 (5.5.23-0jpp.1.0.4.el5) on Red Hat
> Enterprise 5 and can not get Tomcat to listen to port 8000
> using JPDA.

Try running it with a real Tomcat distribution, not a 3rd-party
repackaged mess.

What JDK are you using?  You may need to install a real one of that, as
well.

Does JPDA work on something simpler on the same platform?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.