Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Joachim Draeger <jd...@gmx.de> on 2006/11/06 14:40:28 UTC

(Re)simplifying MailboxManager (major refactoring)

Hi!

I just did a major refactoring of MailboxManager. I try to do some
explanations for people trying to follow that change.
Although it is still a goal to be some kind of "general and all-purpose"
I did one step back to "keep it simple".

Glossary:
BasicMailbox: aka MessageRepository
GeneralMailbox: dealing with message numbers and uids, contains the
functionality of BasicMailbox

At first I had in mind that e.g. BasicMailbox, GeneralMailbox and
SomeOtherMailbox could be separate interfaces with separate
implementations.
One could freely choose an implementation like
getMailbox("name",SomeOtherMailbox.class)
maybe even specifying more needed abilities.

Now:
ImapMailbox extends GeneralMailbox extends Mailbox

The basic functions of BasicMailbox have moved to Mailbox which is now
the base interface for all Mailboxes.

Additionally I put some convenience methods directly to
MailboxManagerProvider as proposed before.

Note that not everything is already fully implemented. The API has still
much room for improvement.

Joachim