Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Sai Arunachalam <sa...@gmail.com> on 2004/08/19 16:25:03 UTC

Basic EAR File deployment, Release M2 ?

Hi,
    I am now trying to port a basic EAR file from WebLogic 6.1 onto Geronimo.

The WAR in the original EAR file, has a weblogic.xml that has the
following portion in it:
  <reference-descriptor>
    <ejb-reference-description>
          <ejb-ref-name>ejb/greeter</ejb-ref-name>
          <jndi-name>greeter</jndi-name>
    </ejb-reference-description>
  </reference-descriptor>

I guess these properties should be appropriately conveyed to Geronimo
using geronimo-jetty.xml.

1. Would <ejb-ref-name> correspond to <ejb-ref> in geronimo-jetty.xml?
If yes, can somebody please explain as to what the following tags
(which come under <ejb-ref>)  mean in geronimo?
a. <server>
b. <kernel-name>
c. <target-name>
d. <external-uri>

2. That apart what exactly are the following tags in geronimo-jetty.xml ?
a. <ejb-local-ref>
b. <resource-env-ref>
c. <message-destination-ref>

3. Is Geronimo M2 out yet? If yes, where can I get a binary of it?

Thanks a lot,
Sai

Re: Basic EAR File deployment, Release M2 ?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Aug 19, 2004, at 7:25 AM, Sai Arunachalam wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am now trying to port a basic EAR file from WebLogic 6.1 onto
> Geronimo.
>
> The WAR in the original EAR file, has a weblogic.xml that has the
> following portion in it:
>   <reference-descriptor>
>     <ejb-reference-description>
>           <ejb-ref-name>ejb/greeter</ejb-ref-name>
>           <jndi-name>greeter</jndi-name>
>     </ejb-reference-description>
>   </reference-descriptor>
>
> I guess these properties should be appropriately conveyed to Geronimo
> using geronimo-jetty.xml.
>
> 1. Would <ejb-ref-name> correspond to <ejb-ref> in geronimo-jetty.xml?
> If yes, can somebody please explain as to what the following tags
> (which come under <ejb-ref>)  mean in geronimo?
> a. <server>
not yet implemented (at least not tested)
intended to let you talk to an ejb on another server using geronimo
jndi/openejb
> b. <kernel-name>
nyi
intended to let you talk to an ejb in the same vm deployed in a
different kernel (it is very unlikely you would run more than one
kernel in a vm, but it's possible)
> c. <target-name>
this is the entire object name of the target ejb.  If you can set this
up with dummy names and deploy the app, together with the debug
console, you can then look in the debug console to find out the exact
names.
> d. <external-uri>
nyi
intended to let you talk to an ejb in a non-openejb container, using a
different jndi system.

> 2. That apart what exactly are the following tags in
> geronimo-jetty.xml ?
> a. <ejb-local-ref>
similar to ejb-ref but for local interfaces
> b. <resource-env-ref>
you'd be better off using message-destination-ref
> c. <message-destination-ref>
this is a mistake.  message-destination-refs are resolved entirely
within the spec deployment descriptor.

In general, I'd advise using links, which do not require entries in the
geronimo plan, rather than refs which do.

> 3. Is Geronimo M2 out yet? If yes, where can I get a binary of it?

I don't think it is released.  However, you might update from cvs and
try out the new running/deployment instructions (see the wiki).

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
On Aug 19, 2004, at 7:25 AM, Sai Arunachalam wrote:

> Hi,
>     I am now trying to port a basic EAR file from WebLogic 6.1 onto
> Geronimo.
>
> The WAR in the original EAR file, has a weblogic.xml that has the
> following portion in it:
>   <reference-descriptor>
>     <ejb-reference-description>
>           <ejb-ref-name>ejb/greeter</ejb-ref-name>
>           <jndi-name>greeter</jndi-name>
>     </ejb-reference-description>
>   </reference-descriptor>
>
> I guess these properties should be appropriately conveyed to Geronimo
> using geronimo-jetty.xml.

If the two beans are deployed within the same ear or ejb-jar then you
can use the j2ee standard (and cross platform) ejb-link syntax.

-dain