Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2014/10/17 22:36:26 UTC

Re: [Math] Disagreeing about how MATH-1138 has been handled

Hi Hank.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:31:26 -0400, Hank Grabowski wrote:
> Gilles,
>
> This is the original changes to get the bicubic spline working. These
> were
> originally committed as a diff that was attached to the JIRA
> incident.  The
> suggestions in your email were in response to my questions about work
> carrying forward from that point.
>
> I have been very explicit and verbose on what I was doing throughput
> the
> development of those upgrades, both within the JIRA incident and
> within the
> forums.  I attempted to incorporate all the comments that I received.
> submitted my code in a way that could have been reviewed.  If that
> isn't
> clear then I apologize, however I don't appreciate the connotation
> that
> these changes were done willy nilly or in a rogue fashion.

I can assure you that there was absolutely no such connotation.
The heat was not directed at you.
It was only the result of my being surprised by a totally _novel_ way
include code from new contributors. Luc has described what has been
going
on, and it might well be a good way, but I've been surprised that this
all
happened without adorning comments.

For an example of how I used to work with a contributor, please have a
quick look at
and
   http://markmail.org/message/3uwilnca3bctcujc

I was thinking we were in a similar situation.
It seems we are not, because the tool has changed.

I still have to get used to it. It would help if I could read
explanations
about the new way, and how it came about due to using git, and how to
use
git to review code made by others (using branches, and I don't know
what
not) while working on unrelated issues and making my own modifications
in
my local copy...

Regards,
Gilles

> Because I want my future contributions to be appreciated and not
> disrupted
> I would like to know how to do this process better/differently.  I
> don't
> intend to put substantial effort into development and communication
> to have
> yet another reaction like this.  It is as or more frustrating to me
> as it
> appears it is for you.
>
> Sent from my Android phone
> On Oct 17, 2014 10:24 AM, "Gilles" <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:46:53 +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hank,

>>> Thank you. I have merged this request and pushed the result to our
>>> main
>>> repository. The only changes I introduced were fixing end of lines