Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2015/05/01 15:55:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Role of mentors.

Hi

I would like to ask the community, how is Mentors viewed in this project ?

- Are we (just) external advisers, that basically check/inform the apache
project about the apache way.

or
- Are we part of the project, and expected to participate in
discussions/votes etc.

I am happy with both roles, as it defines my involvement pretty clear.

If the community want to see the mentors as part of the project, it would
be a good idea to make us
part of the project.

I have noted the geode does not appear on people.a.o maybe there are a few
steps missing.

rgds
jan I.

Re: [DISCUSS] Role of mentors.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Same here. And in my experience having mentors, if they are indeed active
mentors, is generally a positive thing as it adds the experience and direct
contribution to the new project.

Cos

Re: [DISCUSS] Role of mentors.

Posted by William Markito <wm...@pivotal.io>.
IMHO it will depend on the mentors will to play the roles.

>From a community perspective, any help will definitely be much appreciated
and welcome!

We'll setup people.a.o soon as well...

--

William Markito Oliveira
Enterprise Architect

Re: [DISCUSS] Role of mentors.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 8:55 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to ask the community, how is Mentors viewed in this project ?
>
> - Are we (just) external advisers, that basically check/inform the apache
> project about the apache way.
>
> or
> - Are we part of the project, and expected to participate in
> discussions/votes etc.

I was hoping you guys would consider the latter. Your collective
experience is invaluable around the "Apache Way", but your
software development experience is also second to none.

> I am happy with both roles, as it defines my involvement pretty clear.
>
> If the community want to see the mentors as part of the project, it would
> be a good idea to make us part of the project.

You are. Of course, the next steps after we fully migrate to ASF infra
would be to come up with a sort of governance/release/code review/etc.
models. I see that Anthony has started a branch model conversation -- which
is the first big step towards defining what it takes to contribute code
to the project.

I guess what I'm trying to say -- it is on us to define the rules of engagement
around the codebase.

> I have noted the geode does not appear on people.a.o maybe there are a few
> steps missing.

Here's a JIRA tracking overall progress of our onboarding:

Could you add subtasks for whatever's missing?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Role of mentors.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Monday, May 4, 2015, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > I would like to ask the community, how is Mentors viewed in this project
> ?
> >
> > - Are we (just) external advisers, that basically check/inform the apache
> > project about the apache way.
> >
> > or
> > - Are we part of the project, and expected to participate in
> > discussions/votes etc.
>
> I intend to pursue both roles.  =)

Behind my question was that i too want to help out.

i do have cycles to do actual development, but I do have a little
experience/background that means I can come with ideas from time to time
(like with the git workflow).

I do have a principle though, in order not to confuse roles, I only
contribute to projects, where I am registred a committer (see people.a.o).

rgds
jan i

Re: [DISCUSS] Role of mentors.

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.