Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/04 20:02:47 UTC

Backwards compatibility

Hi,

I was wondering what the backwards-compatibility rules in Solr are? Is
it the same as in Lucene, i.e. public and protected APIs can only be
changed in a major release (X.Y -> (X+1).0) ?
I'd like to consolidate the function queries in Solr and Lucene and it's
gonna be quite messy if we have to keep all classes in Solr's
search/function package around.

-Michael

Re: Backwards compatibility

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Dec 4, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering what the backwards-compatibility rules in Solr are?
> Is it the same as in Lucene, i.e. public and protected APIs can only
> be changed in a major release (X.Y -> (X+1).0) ?
> I'd like to consolidate the function queries in Solr and Lucene and
> it's gonna be quite messy if we have to keep all classes in Solr's
> search/function package around.

Yes, it is more or less the same as Lucene, although we usually have a
bit more flexibility on internals, since the public API is the Params
and not necessarily a low-level API (w/ the exception of SolrJ).

See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommitPolicy

I think it makes sense to have a single search/function package shared
instead of the current fork.  Can Lucene's now do everything that
Solr's does with support for all the different functions and the
ability to multiply the boost instead of just adding it?  (Correct me
if I'm not understanding it, I'm going from what's possible as a user
of Solr, I haven't looked at the code in a while, so that
functionality may be implemented somewhere else)

-Grant