Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> on 2023/03/08 05:55:21 UTC

Using PR Merge Process - Part 1

On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 2:49 PM Simon Steiner <si...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think the overhead it adds, issues arounds CI failing for reasons
> outside of your control.

IMO, very little overhead. I did 9 commits on this repo yesterday creating
5 PRs in quick succession. Very easy. Here's a real-world tutorial I just
created to make a one line change to .gitignore.

1. Create local and remote branch:

$ git checkout main                              # branch from main; no-op
if already on main
$ git checkout -b skynavga/update-git-ignores    # create (and switch to)
new local branch (off of main)
$ git push -u origin skynavga/update-git-ignores # create remote branch and
track it

[image: Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 21.19.34.png]

Re: Using PR Merge Process - Part 1

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Agreed

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for sharing the PDF. Makes sense to me. The workflow you propose
is similar to what we use in our day job also. I have no concerns
adopting this, but we should have hold an official vote and do a write
up on the web site under the develop tab to document our working processes.

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
Hi Chris,