Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jean-Pierre <je...@247realmedia.com> on 2008/03/27 20:41:59 UTC

[Map/Reduce][HDFS]

Hello,

I'm working on large amount of logs, and I've noticed that the
distribution of data on the network (./hadoop dfs -put input input)
takes a lot of time.

Let's says that my data is already distributed among the network, is
there anyway to say to hadoop to use the already existing
distribution ?.

Thanks

--
Jean-Pierre <je...@247realmedia.com>

RE: [Map/Reduce][HDFS]

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi Jean, no that is not directly possible. You have to pass your data
through the DFS client in order for that to be part of the dfs (e.g. hadoop
fs -put .., etc. or programatically).
(removing core-dev from this thread since this is really a core-user
question)

RE: [Map/Reduce][HDFS]

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: [Map/Reduce][HDFS]

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

Try running dfs -put on each of the machines that has content.  That will
give you good balance and should let you write at very high speed (depending
on your cluster size).

Re: [Map/Reduce][HDFS]

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

Re: [Map/Reduce][HDFS]