Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gregory Baytler <gb...@home.com> on 2001/09/27 02:06:39 UTC

Tomcat consistently crashes Win2000 Server operating system

I had jdk1.3.1 installed on my win2000 server.
I am able to run applets and servlets OK, but I would like to create a JSP
application.
At first, I installed Tomcat 3.0 and created system variables: JAVA_HOME and
TOMCAT_HOME.
I go to dos and cd into directory where startup.bat is, then startup Tomcat.
Tomcat 3.0 would startup OK, but as soon as I enter http://localhost:8080/
into the browser, I get NT blue screen memory dump. So, I installed
jdk1.2.2 - same thing
happened. Then I installed Tomcat 3.2.3 - now I was able to get to Tomcat's
default page, but as soon as I click on Examples link, it crashes windows
again. And also, since then I was not able to even get to default page
anymore. As soon as I enter http://localhost:8080/ into the browser, I get
NT blue screen with memory dump. Can somebody give me any clues on to what
in the world is going on?

Thanks in advance,

-Gregory Baytler
gbaytler@home.com

Re: Tomcat consistently crashes Win2000 Server operating system

Posted by Mikael Aronsson <mi...@telia.com>.
I don't think this has anything to do with Tomcat, when you get the blue
screen you also get an error message or exception text, what does it say ?

Mikael

Posted by "C. Schlegelmilch" <c_...@yahoo.com>.
We had this problem with the computer labs at the
university.  We had the network admin check out the
error message and he was stumped.  Best guess was a
memory protection issue.

A few things we did helped reduce the frequency of
these system crashes but nothing full-proof.  Turning
off any personal firewall and antivirus software was
just the ticket for most of the machines.  As well, we
noticed that there was some sort of conflict between
Tomcat and the win2k web services.  We turned them off
and that helped a bit.

One odd thing.  If you "prime" your server by making
the first request to your web app from another node on
your network, any other successive request to
localhost:8080 on your server machine will work
without taking out your system.  Go figure...

 --- Gregory Baytler <gb...@home.com> wrote: > I

Posted by Gregory Baytler <gb...@home.com>.
Bryan,

I have sp2 installed on win2000 server, and no hot fixes or anything like
that. I am simply trying to run Tomcat as a stand-alone server right now,
and being able to view Tomcat's pages with out hooking it to IIS or anything
else. I have not modified any files. I don't know what other info to give
you... I am puzzled by this phenomena.

-Greg.

	Need more information about your environment.  What service pack? What hot
fixes have been applied (if any)?  etc etc etc.

I am running Win2k server with sp2, JDK 1.3.1.01, Apache 1.3.20 and Tomcat
3.3.b2 with no problems.  All servlets and JSPs from the examples work fine.