Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Danielius Jurna <da...@elitnet.lt> on 2006/05/16 14:53:31 UTC

Stomp subscribtions are not removed

Hi.

While doing stomp failover tests, we found out, that when stomp connection
is broken unexpectly, the connection is removed from broker correctly, but
subscriptions are not removed.

Simple test: Create stomp client on another machine thant broker. Subscribe
to some queue, send some messages to that queue and then unplug cable from
client machine. After some time stomp connection is removed from broker, but
all subscriptions still exist. You can see that using using jmx. And if
client connects to the same queue once again, it receives only half messages
(other half is sent somehow to non-existant client, which still has
subscription).

Can you take a look?

Re: Stomp subscribtions are not removed

Posted by fucema <fu...@gmail.com>.
Are any of the dev looking into this? I am evaluating the Stomp support in
ActiveMQ for deployment in a production environment for integrating
ruby,java,python,etc applications. Stomp is the preferred protocol.

Re: Stomp subscribtions are not removed

Posted by Danielius Jurna <da...@elitnet.lt>.
There is an issue in jira for nearly a month regarding this bug
(http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-724). And it has test case
attached to it but it seems that this bug is more related to broker than to
stomp transport. Stomp transport behaves a little different than OpenWire
and it reveals this bug in the broker

Re: Stomp subscribtions are not removed

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
Not yet.  Do you have a junit test that could help us reproduce the
problem quicker?  Also feel free to open and Issue at:

http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ

so that we don't forget to look into this.

Regards,
Hiram

On 5/24/06, Danielius Jurna <da...@elitnet.lt> wrote:

> This problem also exists in 4.0 Final. If Stomp client crashes (or
> disconnects unexpectedly) when there are unconsumed messages in the broker,
> something goes really wrong whith the broker. Broker shows warrnings that
> mbeans cannot be unregistered, messages got stuck in the queue (they cannot
> be consumed by other client) and broker's memory consumption increases.
> Broker needs to be restarted in such case.
>
> Pleas someone take a look at that, because this problem really causes the
> pain to us and we cannot pass QA tests!

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Stomp subscribtions are not removed

Posted by Danielius Jurna <da...@elitnet.lt>.
It seems that it is somehow related to message prefetching. When there are a
lot of messages in the queue, they are prefetched to the stomp client. But
after client disconnect, they are not returned to the broker and are not
delivered to the client. So broker needs to be restarted for those messages
to be delivered!
Can please someone take a look?

Re: Stomp subscribtions are not removed

Posted by Danielius Jurna <da...@elitnet.lt>.
After more investigation I found out, that this issue only occures when there
are some messages still left in the queue when disconnecting stomp client.
To reproduce you need to put some messages in the queue without any
consumers. Then you need to subscribe stomp client to the queue. And while
receiveng messages, you unplug the cable from the client machine.
The connection is lost after some time in the broker, but it seems, that
some phantom client still exists and is still subscribed to the queue. The
messages in the queue are not delivered to new subscribed client, you need
to restart broker to get those messages.
I haven't tried yet, but I think the same issue exists with normal client
disconnects (when there are messages left the queue)

Any ideas?