Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2016/08/11 08:42:46 UTC

Download Junit and Hamcrest in ./bootstrap?

Hi

If you've been checking the buildbots you'll see that all who don't use
--without-junit are currently broken in ./configure due to junit being too
old. This is unlikely to change, as the buildslaves are running Ubuntu
10.04 which doesn't have newer versions of Junit available in apt.

This is part of a bigger problem, which is that Junit's dependencies
changed multiple times in the 4.x releases, which is why I changed
configure.ac to need at least 4.11 (the maximum being 4.12).

Instead of needing a correct system Junit version to run tests during the
build, and having to worry about having correct system versions of Hamcrest
on the classpath, should we not rather treat them like external
dependencies and download specific versions during ./bootstrap? It's under
300 kB for both, and the bvt/fvt/pvt tests already download their own copy.

Damjan

Re: Download Junit and Hamcrest in ./bootstrap?

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Kay Schenk@apache.org <ks...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 08/11/2016 01:42 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > If you've been checking the buildbots you'll see that all who don't use
> > --without-junit are currently broken in ./configure due to junit being
> too
> > old. This is unlikely to change, as the buildslaves are running Ubuntu
> > 10.04 which doesn't have newer versions of Junit available in apt.
> >
> > This is part of a bigger problem, which is that Junit's dependencies
> > changed multiple times in the 4.x releases, which is why I changed
> > configure.ac to need at least 4.11 (the maximum being 4.12).
> >
> > Instead of needing a correct system Junit version to run tests during the
> > build, and having to worry about having correct system versions of
> Hamcrest
> > on the classpath, should we not rather treat them like external
> > dependencies and download specific versions during ./bootstrap? It's
> under
> > 300 kB for both, and the bvt/fvt/pvt tests already download their own
> copy.
> >
> > Damjan
> >

> This would be OK with me. What version of the jre does Junit 4.11
> require? I can't find information about this on the junit site
> --http://junit.org/junit4/

Unzipping 4.11's JAR and running "file *" on some class files gives this:

ResultPrinter.class: compiled Java class data, version 49.0 (Java 1.5)
TestRunner.class:    compiled Java class data, version 49.0 (Java 1.5)
package-info.class:  compiled Java class data, version 49.0 (Java 1.5)

> Right now, we're still spec'd at jdk 1.6 for everything except Windows,
> but IMO we should advance to 1.7 .

+1. It would also be a major improvement to use 1.7's AutoCloseable and
try-with-resources to control UNO object lifetimes instead of relying on
garbage collection or explicit calls to dispose().

Re: Download Junit and Hamcrest in ./bootstrap?

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 11 Aug, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 08/11/2016 01:05 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

>>> That sounds good to me as well, but are there any issues with installing
>>> a newer jdk on older Linux distributions that we still support?
>>
>> Andrea put out a notice for setting up a production farm of machines --
>> see:
>>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201608.mbox/%3C57AA12CA.1090207%40apache.org%3E
>>
>> We'd have to use CentOS 5.11 since this is the only 5 version that is
>> NOT deprecated. It looks like java 1.7 SDK is available for that
>> distribution.
>>
>> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.11/os/i386/CentOS/
>>
>> We also know that the older branch 4.1.2 will not work with java 1.7,
>
> [sorry I misspoke here. 4.1.2 will NOT work with java 1.8. 4.2 works
> with either java 1.7 or java 1.8]

The FreeBSD port of OpenOffice 4.1.2 works with java 1.8.  The only
problem that I know if related to using 1.8 to build is that that after
installation it will only work with 1.8.  If you build with 1.7, then
you can use either 1.7 or 1.8 on the machine where OpenOffice is
installed.

Re: Download Junit and Hamcrest in ./bootstrap?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kay Schenk@apache.org" <ks...@apache.org>.

--
Kay Schenk
Apache OpenOffice

Re: Download Junit and Hamcrest in ./bootstrap?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 2:53 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Kay
>
> Why did you delete hamcrest from configure.ac in r1757861?
>
> It's essential: (recent) Junit doesn't work without it, and at least
> subsequent tests can't run!
>
> I will be adding it back soon if there are no objections.
>
> Regards
> Damjan

​I think I did this because at the time, all the buildbots were failing
with this additional requirement, and I just wanted to get back to using
whatever version of Junit was supplied by default on the build systems --
probably a lower version than what you had spec'd as I recall. We had been
adequately testing with Junit 4.12 once upon a time which is what I had in
my config options without the additional explicit Hamcrest version and what
successfully allowed for testing with Junit 4.12. It seems most installs of
Junit already have SOME Hamcrest available without explicitly using this
requirement.
​

> On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> with

>> under

>> Dragging
>> is

>> that

>> erequisites_2

>> > We can request installation of packs on the buildbot but they need to be
>> > in the form of deb packages.
>> >
>> > I found hamcrest here: https://mirror.hmc.edu/ubuntu/pool/main/libh/
>> > and junit4 here: https://mirror.hmc.edu/ubuntu/pool/main/j/junit4/
>> >
>> > from Ubuntu repos. @Damjan: can you provide a combination that would
>> work?
>> >

>> I will work with infra on getting these installed on the Linux buildbots
>> we're using. I don't think trying to build/load them locally would be
>> very easy really. I ran through the tests using command line
>> instructions from:
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/QA/test_automation_guide
>>
>> We really do need this testing, and I don't see any tests set up for
>> Base, so we need to work on that.
>>
>> --

Kay Schenk
Apache OpenOffice

"Things work out best for those who make
 the best of the way things work out."
                                           -- John Wooden

Re: Download Junit and Hamcrest in ./bootstrap?

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Hi Kay

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Kay Schenk@apache.org" <ks...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.
On 11 Aug, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> Hi
>
> If you've been checking the buildbots you'll see that all who don't use
> --without-junit are currently broken in ./configure due to junit being too
> old. This is unlikely to change, as the buildslaves are running Ubuntu
> 10.04 which doesn't have newer versions of Junit available in apt.
>
> This is part of a bigger problem, which is that Junit's dependencies
> changed multiple times in the 4.x releases, which is why I changed
> configure.ac to need at least 4.11 (the maximum being 4.12).
>
> Instead of needing a correct system Junit version to run tests during the
> build, and having to worry about having correct system versions of Hamcrest
> on the classpath, should we not rather treat them like external
> dependencies and download specific versions during ./bootstrap? It's under
> 300 kB for both, and the bvt/fvt/pvt tests already download their own copy.

That's fine with me as long as it is still an option to use the system
version as long as it is recent enough.