Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/17 00:32:50 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

> On 15 Jan 2015, at 03:57, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> O.Felka wrote:
>> Am 15.01.2015 um 09:04 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> Procedural note: I didn't add it to my initial mail in order to keep it
>>> short, but it is highly recommended that -1 votes be accompanied by a
>>> brief motivation (1-2 lines), especially if you haven't participated in
>>> the discussions so far. Knowing what is wrong can help a lot. This holds
>>> for the -1 votes that have already been expressed too.
>>
>> If this should be a vote no one has to argue for his decision.
>
> Ultimately the +1, 0 or -1 is what counts, indeed.
>
> But in the case of a -1, an explanation is always helpful to understand what's wrong (wrong timing, and why? wrong person, and why? do you see an option we didn't consider, and which one?). So it is very common practice, unless it's clear from the previous discussion, to provide it. And I would personally find it very useful.

I was curious about the provisions for -1 votes as stated in the AOO pages. I found this:

quote/
Calling a Vote

Once it is time to call the vote a mail is posted with a subject starting with "[VOTE]". This enables the community members to ensure they do not miss an important vote thread. It also indicates that this is not consensus building but a formal vote. The initiator is responsible for the vote. That means also to count the votes and present the results. Everyone has 1 vote.

Casting Your Vote
The notation used in voting is:

+1 (means I vote positive) You can say why you vote positive but it's not a must-have.

0 (means vote abstention and nothing else)

-1 (means I vote negative because of the following reason) Yes, you must support your objection and provide an alternative course of action that you are willing and able to implement (where appropriate).
/quote
From: http://openoffice.apache.org/docs/governance/voting.html

The point here is that the vote is supposed to be a formality, and the conclusion basically known in advance. arrived at through the discussions that would have preceded the vote itself. Therefore, if someone votes -1, the assumption is that there's got to be a reason for it. Ideally, the reason for a -1 would have been expressed during the discussion period. As the roles that we have are actually not at all like what we had with OOo and more administrative (See http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html), it would help the future of the community (not just me or Andrea or any other future candidate) to know what prompts a -1. (Abstentions are a different matter. They indicate nothing.)

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Best,
Louis

RE: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] New Apache OpenOffice PMC Chair

From: http://openoffice.apache.org/docs/governance/voting.html

The point here is that the vote is supposed to be a formality, and the conclusion basically known in advance. arrived at through the discussions that would have preceded the vote itself. Therefore, if someone votes -1, the assumption is that there's got to be a reason for it. Ideally, the reason for a -1 would have been expressed during the discussion period. As the roles that we have are actually not at all like what we had with OOo and more administrative (See http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html), it would help the future of the community (not just me or Andrea or any other future candidate) to know what prompts a -1. (Abstentions are a different matter. They indicate nothing.)
[ ... ]