Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/28 23:18:32 UTC

Session timeout

Greetings,

Does Cassandra support session timeout? If so, where can I find this
configuration switch? If not, what kind of hook I can use to write my out
code, terminating session in so many seconds of inactivity?

Thanks,

Oleg

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jack,

I updated my document with all the security gaps I was able to discover
(see the second table, below the fist one). I also moved the document to
Google Docs from Word doc, shared on Google Drive, following Matt's
suggestion.

Please, see the updated link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13-yu-1a0MMkBiJFPNkYoTd1Hzed9tgKltWi6hFLZbsk/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Oleg

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jack,

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Robert, Jack, Bryan,

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com>.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
One last time, I'll simply renew my objection to the way you are abusing
this list. You'll hear no further reply from me and I will begin marking
any more of your excessive inquiries as spam. If others in the community
wish to do your security review for you one item at a time, that is their
prerogative and I'll respect their wishes. My suggestions for a superior
approach to getting feedback for your review still stands and requires no
further efforts from me at this stage.

-- Jack Krupansky

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM, oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jack,
>
> I have to note, Cassandra documentation the way it stays now, is not
> nearly detailed enough. For instance:
> https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/configuration/configLoggingLevels_r.html
> is all Cassandra has to say about logging. The reason why I bring my
> questions to the mailing list is, once again, I can't make security
> recommendations which would be followed across US, based of the lack of
> information. It is really not that difficult to confirm that such feature
> is not present.
>
> Besides, questions I ask might give some implementations ideas. Even from
> that particular discussion one has been raised already.
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-11097 With that in mind,
> would you please be able to respond with definitive answers to questions I
> raised here? My assumption, answer would be "not supported" for all 5 not
> yet answered, but I need a confirmation from community.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oleg
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> No offense, but my suggestion here is that you write up a preliminary
>> list of your own answers based on your own reading of the doc, specs, and
>> white papers (and source code) and post that list, like on Google Docs, for
>> people to review in bulk, rather than force all Cassandra users on this
>> list to participate in a full security review one item at a time. To
>> reiterate, you should be treating the doc as the definitive guide to what
>> is supported - given the importance that the Cassandra and DSE developers
>> placed on security features over the past couple of years, it really is
>> truly safe to say that if it isn't in the doc then it is definitively not
>> supported. Yes, it would be good to review your final list as a courtesy
>> check, but asking us to confirm what appears to be obvious (i.e., it is not
>> in the doc) seems more than a bit excessive to me.
>>
>> If there is any true confusion in the doc, of course let us know (or
>> email to docs@datastax.com), but there is no need for us to confirm that
>> you did not find something in the doc.
>>
>> -- Jack Krupansky
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 5:02 PM, oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Jack,
>>>
>>> Appreciate the links. As I mentioned, I looked over both DSE and
>>> Cassandra sets of documentation, and ran some experiments on my Cassandra
>>> installation. What I'm bringing here is something I couldn't find
>>> definitive answer for in any of the above-mentioned sources.
>>>
>>> For instance, regarding logging, here are questions I have:
>>>
>>> 1)  Identity-based logging (we investigated it in another thread and I
>>> got "not supported" as an answer)
>>> 2)  Logging source and destinations (server and client IP)
>>> 3)  Logging connections and disconnections - same
>>> 4)  Logging hostname

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jack,

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jack,

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Alex Popescu <al...@datastax.com>.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for encouraging me, I kind of grew a bit desperate. I'm security
person, not a Cassandra expert, and doing security assessment of Cassandra
DB, I have to rely on community heavily. I will put together a composed
version of all my previous queries, will title it "Security assessment
questions" and will post it once again.

As per the session timeout, my understanding, Cassandra currently doesn't
support it. I didn't find any mention of it in documentation. Also, I just
ran simple experiment on my installation (version 2.1.8, default settings):
I opened two ssh sessions on my Linux server, hosting Cassandra DB. On one,
I entered cqlsh, another was just left as is. Then I stepped away from
computer and went for breakfast. Now here are the results: first session
with cqlsh still sits there, 50 minutes into it. Second was terminated in
15 minutes (ssh session timeout).

As per the mailing list, a little housekeeping suggestion if I may. Right
now our mailing list allows to reply to user@cassandra.apache.org. That
leads to a situation, when all the emails are getting filtered to the same
folder at the recipients end (I have it setup such way, I'm sure everybody
else have similar setup too). If we will introduce "Reply to All" option,
which would allow to reply not only to mailing list, but to personal email
addresses of guys, involved into this particular conversation, those emails
would bypass filters and would end up in our personal emails space in
Inbox. This way we would help correspondents, engaged into the conversation
to notice those emails easily, understand that those are targeted to them
and stay engaged in the conversation, until the issue would be resolved one
way or another.

Thanks,

Oleg

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Carlos Alonso <in...@mrcalonso.com>.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

Understood. Thanks for your response. I would put together my questions in
one thread here, will title it "Security". Then I will move whatever was
not answered to the dev thread.

Thanks,

Oleg

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

You mentioned that both Authentication and Authorization are pluggable. In
relation to that, is logging pluggable as well? I.e. if I'm not happy with
what logback has to provide and want to replace it with some alternative
logging module, can I do it?

Re: Session timeout

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.
> For instance, way AAA (authentication, authorization, audit) is done, doesn't allow for centralized account and access control management, which in reality translates into shared accounts and no hierarchy.

Authentication and Authorization are both pluggable. Any organization can write their own, and tie it to any AAA system they currently have. If they were feeling generous, they could open source it for the community, and perhaps bring it upstream. There’s nothing fundamentally preventing your organization from writing an Authenticator ( https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/auth/IAuthenticator.java ) or Authorizor ( https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/auth/IAuthorizer.java ) if they were so inclined.

Audit is something that’s being actively discussed ( https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8844 ).

It’s an open source project with a very small number of commercial vendors. In general, that means there are 3 options:
Wait for someone else to write it to fit their need, and hopefully they open source it.
Write it yourself

From:  oleg yusim
Date:  Friday, January 29, 2016 at 9:16 AM
To:  "user@cassandra.apache.org"
Subject:  Re: Session timeout

Jon,

I suspected something like that. I did a bit of learning on Cassandra before starting my assessment, and I understand that you are right, and it is generally not used like that.

However (taking off my developer hat and putting on my security architect hat), from the security point of view the way Cassandra is used now is not very secure. For instance, way AAA (authentication, authorization, audit) is done, doesn't allow for centralized account and access control management, which in reality translates into shared accounts and no hierarchy. That in turn translates into situation when one person compromising credentials means complete disaster - administrative access to DB was just given up, with all the consequences. To top it all logging currently implemented in horrible manner too. It doesn't even allow to log username - basic requirement for any product, which would allow DBA or ISSO to figure out who did what on DB and recover in case of attack or crash. In general, logs the way they are today are targeted toward developer, making changes in DB, not toward the DBA, using it, and doesn't make much sense in my opinion.

Re: Session timeout

Posted by oleg yusim <ol...@gmail.com>.
Jon,

Re: Session timeout