Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com> on 2007/08/06 21:18:58 UTC

[POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Hi all,

Abstract:
========

One of the recent discussions on the developer list is whether to forego
Java 1.4 compatibility and switch Cayenne development to require a Java
5 base.  Note that regardless of where 3.0 goes, the 1.2.x and 2.0.x
releases will remain 1.4 compatible.

Java 5 provides some compelling reasons for the upgrade, but supporting
our user base trumps all.  Thus, this poll.

Poll:
====

If you are planning to upgrade to Cayenne 3.0 or start a new project
with it, which of the following best fits your needs:

[ ] Java 1.4 support
[ ] Java 5 support

Thanks,
Kevin

--
Kevin Menard
Servprise International, Inc.

Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
[X] Java 1.4 support
[X] Java 1.5 support

Since we are using Cayenne 3 in a 1.4 environment for our current
release cycle, I'd like to see 3.0 supported for at least a few more
months under 1.4 (just for any bug fixes which might arise). But
after that, 1.5 all the way....

Ari Maniatis

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis
phone +61 2 9660 9700
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8

Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by Rosati Claudio <cl...@acsys.it>.
> [ ] Java 1.4 support
> [ X] Java 5 support

-+

  |\
|        _/_/_/_/_/    _/_/_/_/      Claudio
Rosati                      | \
|       _/            _/      _/     Advanced ComputerSystems ACS
S.p.A. |  \
|      _/            _/      _/      via Della Bufalotta
378             +---+
|     _/            _/_/_/_/         I-00139 Roma
(RM)                       |
|    _/            _/  _/
Italy                                   |
|   _/            _/    _/           Phone:  +39 06 8709
0516                |
|  _/_/_/_/_/    _/      _/          E-mail:
claudio.rosati@acsys.it         |

-----+

ATTENZIONE: le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono da
considerarsi confidenziali ed il loro utilizzo e' riservato
unicamente al destinatario sopra indicato. Chi dovesse ricevere
questo messaggio per errore e' tenuto ad informare il mittente ed a
rimuoverlo definitivamente da ogni supporto elettronico o cartaceo.

WARNING: This message contains confidential and/or proprietary
information which may be subject to privilege or immunity and which
is intended for use of its addressee only. Should you receive this
message in error, you are kindly requested to inform the sender and
to definitively remove it from any paper or electronic format.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.
On 12/11/2007, at 6:06 PM, james wrote:

> [X] Java 5 support
>
> I'll like to see generic supported in Cayenne 3.0.

The decision was made to move Cayenne 3 to Java 5 in the near future,
mostly likely before Milestone 3. That doesn't mean generics will all
appear instantly, but the way will be open to start implementing them.

Ari Maniatis

-------------------------->
ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001

Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@ish.com.au>.
On 19/11/2007, at 6:37 AM, Tarik Cherkaoui wrote:

> It would be great to use generic types to get rid of casting on object
> creation.  So yes, java 5 would be great.  (I am actually using java
> 6...)
> Artist a = context.newObject(Artist.class);

I think this poll is well and truly closed now... the conversion to
Java 5 has already happened in trunk of Cayenne. The next milestone
will include some number of generics (although probably not everywhere).

Regards
Ari

-------------------------->

Posted by Tarik Cherkaoui <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by james <i_...@yahoo.com.sg>.
[X] Java 5 support

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
When I upgrade to Cayenne 3.0, it will be used under Java 1.5.

AW: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by Peter Schröder <Pe...@freenet-ag.de>.
as there are some more new frameworks that rely on java 5 features such as tapestry, i think that this is the future. so:

[X] Java 1.5 support

Posted by Demis Gallisto <de...@matrix.it>.
[ ] Java 1.4 support
[X] Java 5 support

Demis Gallisto

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@puregumption.com>.
[   ] Java 1.4 support
[X] Java 1.5 support

Robert

Posted by Joe Baldwin <jf...@earthlink.net>.
Gilberto,

that is a good question,  the docs:
	Website link: Version 3.0 (in development) -> Cayenne guide ->
Installation
indicate that the required JDK minimum version (for 3.0) is 1.4,
however my recollection is (and this may be incorrect), that someone
mentioned that 1.5 is required for some of the capabilities.

I am currently running Java 1.5 with Cayenne 3.0.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Gilberto,

Like Ari said, we are trying to make this decision now - switch or
not to switch 3.0 development to Java 1.5. The [POLL] thread was of
course started to ask user opinion and see what app servers would
still force the JDK 1.4 on the users.

So a question to you - would it be possible to switch to Cayenne
2.0.3 for your application? What 3.0 features are you relying upon?

Andrus

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Gilberto C Andrade <gi...@secad.to.gov.br>.

Posted by Steve Wells <we...@gmail.com>.
[ ] Java 1.4 support
[X] Java 5 support

I'm on Java 6

Re: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by "Alexander Lamb (dev)" <al...@mac.com>.
Java 5 only ( currently we are in production on Java 6 with Cayenne 2
and Tapestry 4.1 and migrating to Tapestry 5 which is Java 5 only :-)

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Solis <h....@gmail.com>.
[   ] Java 1.4 support
[X] Java 1.5 suppor

--
過労死

RE: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?

Posted by Jan Lendholt <jl...@hotmail.com>.
>[ ] Java 1.4 support
>[X] Java 5 support

>From: "Kevin Menard" <km...@servprise.com>
>To: <us...@cayenne.apache.org>
>Subject: [POLL]: Cayenne 3.0 -- Java 1.4 or 5 support?
>Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 15:18:58 -0400
>
>Hi all,
>
>Abstract:
>========
>
>One of the recent discussions on the developer list is whether to forego
>Java 1.4 compatibility and switch Cayenne development to require a Java
>5 base.  Note that regardless of where 3.0 goes, the 1.2.x and 2.0.x
>releases will remain 1.4 compatible.
>
>Java 5 provides some compelling reasons for the upgrade, but supporting
>our user base trumps all.  Thus, this poll.
>

>Poll:
>====
>
>If you are planning to upgrade to Cayenne 3.0 or start a new project
>with it, which of the following best fits your needs:
>
>[ ] Java 1.4 support
>[ ] Java 5 support
>
>Thanks,
>Kevin
>
>--
>Kevin Menard
>Servprise International, Inc.
>800.832.3823 x308

Sie suchen E-Mails, Dokumente oder Fotos? Die neue MSN Suche Toolbar mit
Windows-Desktopsuche liefert in sekundenschnelle Ergebnisse. Jetzt neu!
http://desktop.msn.de/ Jetzt gratis downloaden!