Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2005/01/20 15:31:28 UTC

[ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.5.7-alpha Released

The Apache Jakarta Tomcat team is proud to announce the immediate
availability of Tomcat 5.5.7-alpha. This build contains numerous bug
fixes, documentation updates, and other improvements.

Release notes:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/RELEASE-NOTES

Please refer to the change log for the list of changes:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/changelog.html

Downloads: Binaries: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi#tomcat-5.5
Sources: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi#tomcat-5.5

The Apache Jakarta Tomcat Team

Re: BASIC Authentication

Posted by Giorgio Ponza <gi...@opla.it>.
Ashish Kulkarni ha scritto:
> Hi
> May be try putting the following in web.xml file just
> before taglib ( i am not sure but works with 2.2)
> 	<error-page>
> 		<error-code>403</error-code>
>
> 		<location>/pages/error/noaccess.jsp</location>
> 	</error-page>
>
> 	<error-page>
> 		<error-code>401</error-code>
>
> 		<location>/pages/error/noaccess.jsp</location>
> 	</error-page>
>
> Ashish

Thanks for the answer, but this method doesnt work.
Infact if a resourse is under authentication (like manager) and i setup a 401 page error,
the system does not ask for user and password but presents immediately the error page.
I think i have to use something other than basic auth, at least to create my own login page :D

Tx all

Giorgio Ponza

> --- Omar Adobati <om...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Oh, I'm sorry... you are using the basic auth
>>mode... there was a
>>missunderstanding... sorry again...
>>

>>On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:29:44 +0100, Giorgio Ponza
>><gi...@opla.it> wrote:

>>code into the login

>>the login taske will not

>>>I can't try this :D
>>>There is no login page, only a box appearing over
>>
>>the browser asking user and password.
>>
>>>Thanks anyway
>>>
>>>Giorgio

>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>
>>tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org
>>

>>--
>>Adobati Omar
>>omar.adobati@gmail.it

>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Giorgio Ponza
Web Developer
Opla.com Ltd
Tel. +39 011 7506233
Fax. +39 011 746179
http://www.opla.it

Re: BASIC Authentication

Posted by Ashish Kulkarni <ku...@yahoo.com>.
Hi

Re: BASIC Authentication

Posted by Omar Adobati <om...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I'm sorry... you are using the basic auth mode... there was a
missunderstanding... sorry again...

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:29:44 +0100, Giorgio Ponza <gi...@opla.it> wrote:
> Omar Adobati ha scritto:
> > I never try it, but maybe u can write your own code into the login
> > page that redirect you on a different page if the login taske will not
> > completed as needed...
>
> I can't try this :D
> There is no login page, only a box appearing over the browser asking user and password.
> Thanks anyway
>
> Giorgio

Adobati Omar
omar.adobati@gmail.it

Re: BASIC Authentication

Posted by Giorgio Ponza <gi...@opla.it>.

Re: BASIC Authentication

Posted by Omar Adobati <om...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:21:19 +0100, Giorgio Ponza <gi...@opla.it> wrote:
> Hi all
> I have a small problem trying to configure BASIC auth.
> Everything works good, but i'd like to know if i can change the default page when the user is not
> authenticated. I try to eplain better: if i write wrong 3 times the password, or i click on "cancel"
> button, a default Tomcat page appears saying
>
> type Status report
> message
> description This request requires HTTP authentication ().
>
> Is possible to change this default page?
> Tx everybody
>
> Giorgio

Adobati Omar
omar.adobati@gmail.it

BASIC Authentication

Re: [ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.5.7-alpha Released

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:15:37 +0100, Lionel Farbos <li...@free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:05:52 +0000
> Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Lionel Farbos wrote:
> > > Question :
> > > What is the reference or stable version for servlet 2.4 ?
> > > Is it Tomcat 5.0.28 or Tomcat 5.5.4 ?
> > >
> > > I don't understand why you implement 2 versions (2 branches) for this servlet API ...?
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html has answers to these
> > questions and more.
>
> If I post theses questions, it's because theses answers are not clear for me...
> So, I re-post my question differently :
>
> For production purposes, I want the most stable Tomcat Version (Servlet API 2.3 or 2.4); so, what version should I use ? TC4.1.31, TC5.0.28 or TC5.5.4 ?
>
> In my memories, TC5.0.x was not usable before 5.0.19 but she was announced stable...
> So I prefer requiring Tomcat developers' point of view.

5.5.4 is quite stable. The place where it had issues is the webapp hot
deployer, which was rewritten (the 5.0.x deployer didn't do hot
deployment very well overall, so I suppose you're losing something,
but not much). I think the problems have now been addressed in the
latest 5.5.7 build (which hasn't been rated stable yet). Virtually all
the other issues were bugs affecting 5.0.x as well, and those weren't
all backported yet.

You can see the changelog here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/changelog.html

If you're deploying on a new server, I recommend starting your process
using the latest stable branch. If you're updating, and since there's
likely a new stable build coming soon, you could wait for it.

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by Lionel Farbos <li...@free.fr>.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:05:52 +0000
Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Lionel Farbos wrote:
> > Question :
> > What is the reference or stable version for servlet 2.4 ?
> > Is it Tomcat 5.0.28 or Tomcat 5.5.4 ?
> >
> > I don't understand why you implement 2 versions (2 branches) for this servlet API ...?
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/index.html has answers to these
> questions and more.

If I post theses questions, it's because theses answers are not clear for me...
So, I re-post my question differently :

For production purposes, I want the most stable Tomcat Version (Servlet API 2.3 or 2.4); so, what version should I use ? TC4.1.31, TC5.0.28 or TC5.5.4 ?

In my memories, TC5.0.x was not usable before 5.0.19 but she was announced stable...
So I prefer requiring Tomcat developers' point of view.

In advance, Thank you.

Re: [ANN] Apache Jakarta Tomcat 5.5.7-alpha Released

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lionel Farbos <li...@free.fr>.
Question :

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> The Apache Jakarta Tomcat team is proud to announce the immediate
> availability of Tomcat 5.5.7-alpha. This build contains numerous bug
> fixes, documentation updates, and other improvements.

Hi,

5.5.7-alpha is on its way to iBiblio. It's already on
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/tomcat/jars. I'll be checking
if it doesn't break Geronimo and upgrade the version.

Anyone who wants to use Tomcat in Maven declare 5.5.7-alpha as dependency.

Jacek