Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org> on 2024/02/13 20:41:48 UTC

Introducing Comet, a plugin to accelerate Spark execution via DataFusion and Arrow

Hi all,

We are very happy to announce that Project Comet, a plugin to
accelerate Spark query execution via leveraging DataFusion and Arrow,
has now been open sourced under the Apache Arrow umbrella. Please
check the project repo
https://github.com/apache/arrow-datafusion-comet for more details if
you are interested. We'd love to collaborate with people from the open
source community who share similar goals.

Thanks,
Chao

Re: Introducing Comet, a plugin to accelerate Spark execution via DataFusion and Arrow

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,I gather from the replies that the plugin is not currently available in
the form expected although I am aware of the shell script.

Also have you got some benchmark results from your tests that you can
possibly share?

Thanks,

Mich Talebzadeh,
Dad | Technologist | Solutions Architect | Engineer
London
United Kingdom

   view my Linkedin profile

 https://en.everybodywiki.com/Mich_Talebzadeh

*Disclaimer:* The information provided is correct to the best of my
knowledge, sourced from both personal expertise and other resources but of
course cannot be guaranteed . It is essential to note that, as with any
advice, one verified and tested result holds more weight than a thousand
expert opinions.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Praveen,

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Praveen,

Posted by praveen sinha <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chao,

Posted by "Liu(Laswift) Cao" <tw...@gmail.com>.
This is very cool! Congrats on the amazing work Chao and the team!
It's exciting to see this native engine trend within the community. Other
than gluten, I ran into https://github.com/blaze-init/blaze as well (but
haven't evaluated it in detail)

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:20 Chao Sun <su...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Out of interest what are the differences in the approach between this
> and Glutten?
>
> Overall they are similar, although Gluten supports multiple backends
> including Velox and Clickhouse. One major difference is (obviously)
> Comet is based on DataFusion and Arrow, and written in Rust, while
> Gluten is mostly C++.
> I haven't looked very deep into Gluten yet, but there could be other
> differences such as how strictly the engine follows Spark's semantics,
> table format support (Iceberg, Delta, etc), fallback mechanism
> (coarse-grained fallback on stage level or more fine-grained fallback
> within stages), UDF support (Comet hasn't started on this yet),
> shuffle support, memory management, etc.
>
> Both engines are backed by very strong and vibrant open source
> communities (Velox, Clickhouse, Arrow & DataFusion) so it's very
> exciting to see how the projects will grow in future.
>
> Best,
> Chao
>
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 10:06 PM John Zhuge <jz...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Congratulations! Excellent work!
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 8:04 PM Yufei Gu <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Absolutely thrilled to see the project going open-source! Huge congrats
> to Chao and the entire team on this milestone!
> >>
> >> Yufei

> > --
> > John Zhuge

Liu Cao

Re: Introducing Comet, a plugin to accelerate Spark execution via DataFusion and Arrow

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Zhuge <jz...@apache.org>.
Congratulations! Excellent work!

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 8:04 PM Yufei Gu <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Absolutely thrilled to see the project going open-source! Huge congrats to
> Chao and the entire team on this milestone!
>
> Yufei
>

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 12:43 PM Chao Sun <su...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are very happy to announce that Project Comet, a plugin to
>> accelerate Spark query execution via leveraging DataFusion and Arrow,
>> has now been open sourced under the Apache Arrow umbrella. Please
>> check the project repo
>> https://github.com/apache/arrow-datafusion-comet for more details if
>> you are interested. We'd love to collaborate with people from the open
>> source community who share similar goals.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chao

John Zhuge

Re: Introducing Comet, a plugin to accelerate Spark execution via DataFusion and Arrow

Posted by John Zhuge <jz...@apache.org>.
Congratulations! Excellent work!

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 8:04 PM Yufei Gu <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Absolutely thrilled to see the project going open-source! Huge congrats to
> Chao and the entire team on this milestone!
>
> Yufei
>

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 12:43 PM Chao Sun <su...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are very happy to announce that Project Comet, a plugin to
>> accelerate Spark query execution via leveraging DataFusion and Arrow,
>> has now been open sourced under the Apache Arrow umbrella. Please
>> check the project repo
>> https://github.com/apache/arrow-datafusion-comet for more details if
>> you are interested. We'd love to collaborate with people from the open
>> source community who share similar goals.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chao

John Zhuge

Re: Introducing Comet, a plugin to accelerate Spark execution via DataFusion and Arrow

Posted by Yufei Gu <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yufei Gu <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manoj Kumar <ma...@zettabolt.com>.
Dear @Chao Sun,

I trust you're doing well. Having worked extensively with Spark Nvidia
Rapids, Velox, and Gluten, I'm now contemplating Comet's potential
advantages over Velox in terms of performance and unique features.

While Rapids leverages GPUs effectively, Gazelle's Intel AVX512 intrinsics
which is now EOL. Now, all eyes are on Velox for its universal C++
accelerators(Presto, Spark, PyTorch, XStream (stream processing), F3
(feature engineering), FBETL (data ingestion), XSQL(distributed transaction
processing) , Scribe (message bus infrastructure), Saber (high QPS external
serving), and others...).

In this context, I'm keen to understand Comet's distinctive features and
how its performance compares to Velox. What makes Comet stand out, and how
does its efficiency stack up against Velox across different tasks and
frameworks?

Your insights into Comet's capabilities would be invaluable, it will help
me to evaluate why I should invest my time in this plugin.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Warm regards,
Manoj Kumar

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Mich,

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Mich,

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chao,

As a cool feature

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@gmail.com>.
This looks really cool :) Out of interest what are the differences in the

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chao,

As a cool feature

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@gmail.com>.