Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Photane - JSH/CMB <em...@photane.com> on 2004/09/11 16:55:29 UTC

Fetchmail and FetchPop not working

I am setting up James to warehouse all emails to and from our office, and to
archive in separate folders copies of emails to and from particular clients.
James offers the flexibility to do all we want to do (get fax capabilities
and SMTP authentication on gateways and we're home free!).

Two issues:

(a) Fetchmail unable to fetch mail (error determining the remote domain):

>From fetchmail log file:

11/09/2004 10:04:48 WARN  fetchmail.testing: Message could not be delivered
due to an error determining the remote domain. Message ID: <messsage id>.
Flags: Seen = false, Delete = false.

I see this is a known bug in 2.2.0 (apparently not resolving localhost or
equivalent).  A source code patch was listed, but I don't know how to
incorporate the fix into James.  Is there an easier way to update Fetchmail?
I'm not familiar with Ant and don't want to build James from scratch, but
will learn if I have to.  Is there a 2.2.1 RC available that can be tried
instead?

(b) FetchPop doesn't enable.  Trying FetchPop as alternative to Fetchmail.
Set FetchPop enabled to true in config.xlm and disabled FetchMail.  But
James comes up with FetchPop disabled regardless of configuration setting.
Log files confirm both Fetchmail and Fetchpop are disabled.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

RE: JAMES 2.2.1 RC1 (was RE: Fetchmail and FetchPop not working)

Posted by Photane - JSH/CMB <em...@photane.com>.
Thanks again for the quick response - and on a Saturday too!

2.2.1 RC 1 Fetchmail worked perfectly to fetch mail from our remote ISP and
deliver it to a local user's inbox.

We look forward to incorporating James into our office workflow.

JSH

RE: JAMES 2.2.1 RC1 (was RE: Fetchmail and FetchPop not working)

Posted by Photane - JSH/CMB <em...@photane.com>.
Thanks - I'll give it a try!

JSH

> I see this is a known bug in 2.2.0 (apparently not resolving localhost
> or equivalent).  A source code patch was listed, but I don't know how
> to incorporate the fix into James.

> Is there a 2.2.1 RC available that can be tried instead?

See http://cvs.apache.org/dist/james for the current test build. which
incorporates the Fetchmail fixes.

It was posted a couple of weeks ago, but we've had no feedback on it.

	--- Noel

JAMES 2.2.1 RC1 (was RE: Fetchmail and FetchPop not working)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.