Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1995/10/19 14:42:24 UTC

Re: Apache incompatibility

As I have understood and used it:

file="..." is a path (absolute or relative) to an included document.
virtual="..." uses DOCUMENTROOT for the active server and *must* begin
from the DOCUMENTROOT.

>From a security standpoint, I would prefer to preserve the functionality
above and perhaps restrict file="..." to be a file within the DOCUMENTROOT
filespace.  Use of FollowSymlink etc. should be our controls of this
filespace.