Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/10 17:15:40 UTC

[board report] Apache NiFi - July 2019

Team,

I was running late so submitted the report already.  Here is what I sent to
the board for Apache NiFi July 2019 report.  Great work and great progress
all!

 - Apache NiFi is an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process
and
   distribute data.
 - Apache NiFi MiNiFi is an edge data collection agent built to seamlessly
   integrate with and leverage the command and control of NiFi. There are
both
   Java and C++ implementations.
 - Apache NiFi Registry is a centralized registry for key configuration
items
   including flow versions, assets, and extensions for Apache NiFi and
Apache
   MiNiFi.
 - Apache NiFi Nar Maven Plugin is a release artifact used for supporting
the
   NiFi classloader isolation model.
 - Apache NiFi Flow Design System is a theme-able set of high quality UI
   components and utilities for use across the various Apache NiFi web
   applications in order to provide a more consistent user experience.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
 - Released Apache NiFi Registry 0.4.0 which allows storage of extensions
which
   is a critical step towards us breaking apart the monolithic release of
today
   resulting in smaller binaries in Apache infra a mirrors and will also
bring
   a better user experience for updating live running NiFi clusters and
   operations in container based environments.
 - The community is working the release preparation and voting process for
   Apache NiFi MiNiFi CPP 0.6.1.
 - Apache NiFi 0.10.0 is progressing nicely with nearly 200 JIRAs already
   included.  This brings powerful features such as sourcing extensions from
   the latest NiFi Registry at runtime, far better model for paramaterized
   version controlled flows, Java 11 compatibility, and much more.

## Health report:
 - Health of the community remains strong with many active release lines,
   feature development, active user and developer base including new
   participants and continued participants.
 - We see considerable commentary on Apache NiFi in the form of meetups,
   conferences, training, and talks including from folks at Google, Cloudera
   and others. A recent tweet from a Ford Motor Company employee says it
best
   "Love, love, love @apachenifi   Using MiNiFi opens up IOT innovation in
   amazing ways.  Every IOT device manufacturer, including automotive,
   should consider opening up API's to let developers do their thing!
   Bringing value to your product! "

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 30 PMC members.
 - Peter Wicks was added to the PMC on Wed May 29 2019

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 43 committers.
 - Arpad Boda was added as a committer on Thu May 23 2019

## Releases:

 - Apache NiFi Registry 0.4.0 was released on Mon May 20 2019

## Mailing list activity:

 - Activity on the mailing lists remains high with a mixture of new users,
   contributors, and deeper more experienced users and contributors sparking
   discussion and questions and filing bugs or new features.

 - We do see a significant drop in users list usage while dev and issues
   remains busy and even growing.  Meanwhile we see strong growth in our
   slack channel and it is very user centric.

 - Slack Channel Usage: apachenifi.slack.com
  - 394 users currently in the room.  This has grown weekly.

 - users@nifi.apache.org:

 - dev@nifi.apache.org:
    - 443 subscribers (down -1 in the last 3 months):

 - issues@nifi.apache.org:

## JIRA activity:

Thanks
Joe

Re: [board report] Apache NiFi - July 2019

Posted by Jeff <jt...@gmail.com>.
Russell,

NIFI-5176 [1] is tracking Java 11 build compatibility for NiFi.  PR-3404
[2] is a work-in-progress PR that I welcome review and testing from anyone
in the community.  From PR 3404, several other PRs have been extracted to
prepare NiFi for Java 11 compatibility, and the JIRAs driving those PRs are
linked to NIFI-5176.

The current release of NiFi (and going back to NiFi 1.7.0) although built
with Java 8, will run on Java 11.

if you have any questions or concerns with NiFi on built or run on Java 11,
I'd be happy to discuss in a separate thread on the dev list.

[2] https://github.com/apache/nifi/pull/3404

Posted by Russell Bateman <ru...@windofkeltia.com>.

Posted by Andy LoPresto <al...@apache.org>.
Thanks for taking care of this Joe. Looks great.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.