Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2008/03/02 10:26:37 UTC

Re: How to get Product Information with its Bar Code?

Hi Angus, Ajey,

Just to correct a point, I did not write the POS application, Andrew Zenesky did. It is true though that I took the lead and I'm
maintaining/enhancing it for 3 years now with the great help of Chris Lombardi this last time, Ray Barlow has also helped much,
sorry for those that I forget...

Ajey, have you understood now that actually the bar code representation of a productId is the same than this productID but in
another form ? It's just another representation of it, like a photo of the you is not you but... you see ? And of course, don't
expect OFBiz to do everything you need for you. Like I said before : bricks and mortar.

Maybe this can help (maybe not, can be a trap ;o) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images. I remember having a
discussion about this with Andrew Sykes who have a background of philosophy of art, it's a pity that, I think, he is not reading
this thread anymore (will see ;o)

BTW, the most brilliant use of this concept is certainly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems, but that's another story...

Have a good week-end

Jacques

From: "Angus Gow" <an...@iwantoneofthose.com>
Ajey,

For my project I employed the help of Jacques, Rupert Howell and Manuel Meyer. Jacques wrote the POS application and understands
this very well. The best course of action if you do not understand the "ins and outs" of the application is to buy consultancy from
the very capable skills within the community. It will more than pay for itself even in the short term.

Regards

Angus Gow
Back Office Systems | I Want One Of Those Ltd. |

From: Ajey [mailto:ajey.bitin@gmail.com]
Hi Angus,
your answer is very closer to my requirement but still complicated, perhaps
I'm not getting your words properly. Its true that Bar Code represents a
piece of data. Suppose I created a product and fed information for it like
Product Name, price, Features etc. Now OFBiz generated a Bar Code for this
uniquely. Also, I've a Bar Code Reader. I took the scan of this Bar Code.
So, how can again the information can be fetched with its Bar Code. You told
that EAN number is generated, then these EAN nn. would must be being saved
in the database to process the query. Where they are getting saved in our
database, what is its format? You also told that OFBiz has the capability of
depicting information as barcodes, so, please tell me iin detail how it all
works. Is there any utility available on the Admin part from where we can
fetch the barcode concerned information. I want to setup a POS system with
all these functionalities. You said that all its possible, please explain in
detail so that I can get them.
Thanx again.