Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Phil Rosen <pr...@optaros.com> on 2007/02/01 22:12:28 UTC

Trying to debug a solr error

I am getting the following error from Solr when my application is deployed
on Tomcat on Redhat, but everything works well on Tomcat on XP. Can anyone
point me in a direction of the cause?

The schemas for the two deployments are identical, but the error persists!

Thanks in advance,

Phill

Caused by:

Server side exception, status = 1: java.lang.NullPointerException

      at
org.apache.solr.schema.FieldType.storedToIndexed(FieldType.java:248)

      at
org.apache.solr.update.UpdateHandler.getIndexedId(UpdateHandler.java:134)

      at
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.overwriteBoth(DirectUpdateHand
ler2.java:378)

      at
org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.addDoc(DirectUpdateHandler2.ja
va:231)

      at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.update(SolrCore.java:716)

      at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrUpdateServlet.doPost(SolrUpdateServlet.java:53
)

      at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)

      at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Applicati
onFilterChain.java:252)

      at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilter
Chain.java:173)

      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.
java:213)

      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.
java:178)

      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:1
26)

      at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:1
05)

      at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.ja
va:107)

      at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148
)

      at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:199)

      at
org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:282)

      at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:767)

      at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:69
7)

      at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.ja
va:889)

      at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.j
ava:684)

      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)=java.lang.Object@b914b3,
failed at line 95 SearchProvicer.addDocument=java.lang.Object@b914b3}

Re: Trying to debug a solr error

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I am getting the following error from Solr when my application is deployed
: on Tomcat on Redhat, but everything works well on Tomcat on XP. Can anyone
: point me in a direction of the cause?

FYI: leting us know what action you were performing when an error is
triggered is helpful.

based on my reading of the stack trace, you are "updating" a document and
the problem is that the document you are sending to the Solr server does
not have a uniqueKey field in it.

there is some error checking in UpdateHandler.getIndexedId(Document) that
is suppose to check for this and throw a more useful error message
("Document is missing uniqueKey field " + idField.getName()) ... but based
on your stack trace it looks like there's an NPE before that check
(doc.getField probably returning null)

Can you double check that you have a value for your uniqueKey field in the
document you are trying to add ... if that really is the cause of hte
problem, then it would be great it you could file a bug to improve the
error handling/reporting.

-Hoss