Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Chase <ch...@osdev.org> on 2008/04/21 23:45:33 UTC

Struts 2.x versions and documentation

I'm confused by some of the documentation and hope someone can clarify
things for me.

I'm using what I think is the latest version of Strut 2.
struts-2.0.11.1-all.zip (released Mar 04, 2008)

I'm looking at the docs for the version of Struts I'm using.
http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/action.html (last edited on Jul
03, 2007)

But there seem to be some things that aren't right. For instance the
documentation for the action tag lists the following 2 attributes:
"id", Description "Deprecated. Use 'var' instead"
"var", Description "Name used to reference the value pushed into the
Value Stack"

But my struts-tags.tld only has the "id" attribute and not the ?newer?
"var". Are the docs referring to a future version of Struts? or are they
referencing an older version and the addition of "var" was rolled back?

Should I or someone else be filling a bug report for the online docs?

Thanks,
-Chase

Re: Struts 2.x versions and documentation

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.
Am Montag, 21. April 2008 23:59:46 schrieb Chase:
> Given that the doc in question was last edited July 2007 to include 2.1
> information has 2.1 been released already and I'm just not looking in
> the right place?

Struts 2.1 has no GA release yet. That said, I think it is very stable and
possibly much better than 2.0.x

If using Maven2, you can use this repo:
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/

afaik 2.1.2-SNAPSHOT should be the newest version:
http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/struts/struts2-core/2.1.2-SNAPSHOT/

	Piero

Re: Struts 2.x versions and documentation

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Chase <ch...@osdev.org> wrote:
> Do you know if the documentation for Struts 2 is shared across
> all 2.x versions?

Yes. There's no real way to version the wiki; it's exported into the release,
but information is modified on an ongoing basis regardless of the currently
released version.

> Should "var" be removed from the 2.0 docs or does it just need
> a version note added? I'd like to see about getting this fixed.

It, along with several other issues, need version information added. If
you're interested in assisting, see [1].

> Given that the doc in question was last edited July 2007 to include 2.1
> information has 2.1 been released already and I'm just not looking in
> the right place?

S2.1 has not reached a GA release. As was noted, test builds are available or
it can be built directly from source.

Dave

[1] http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/editing-the-documentation.html

Re: Struts 2.x versions and documentation

Posted by Chase <ch...@osdev.org>.
Do you know if the documentation for Struts 2 is shared across all 2.x
versions? Should "var" be removed from the 2.0 docs or does it just need

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.