Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by bensonthomas <be...@sbcglobal.net> on 2008/12/30 20:39:34 UTC

Timeout input parameter not used in getConnectionWithTimeout method

I got the source code to check the functionality for timeout and I see that
this is not used in the code. What is the impact of this NOT being used in
the code? Help appreciated. Thanks

   /**
     * This method always returns the same connection object. If the
connection is already
     * open, it will be closed and the new host configuration will be
applied.
     *
     * @param hostConfiguration The host configuration specifying the
connection
     *        details.
     * @param timeout this parameter has no effect. The connection is always
returned
     *        immediately.
     * @since 3.0
     */
    public HttpConnection getConnectionWithTimeout(
        HostConfiguration hostConfiguration, long timeout) {

        if (httpConnection == null) {
            httpConnection = new HttpConnection(hostConfiguration);
            httpConnection.setHttpConnectionManager(this);
            httpConnection.getParams().setDefaults(this.params);
        } else {

            // make sure the host and proxy are correct for this connection
            // close it and set the values if they are not
            if (!hostConfiguration.hostEquals(httpConnection)
                || !hostConfiguration.proxyEquals(httpConnection)) {

                if (httpConnection.isOpen()) {
                    httpConnection.close();
                }

                httpConnection.setHost(hostConfiguration.getHost());
                httpConnection.setPort(hostConfiguration.getPort());
                httpConnection.setProtocol(hostConfiguration.getProtocol());

httpConnection.setLocalAddress(hostConfiguration.getLocalAddress());

httpConnection.setProxyHost(hostConfiguration.getProxyHost());

httpConnection.setProxyPort(hostConfiguration.getProxyPort());
            } else {
                finishLastResponse(httpConnection);
            }
        }

        // remove the connection from the timeout handler
        idleStartTime = Long.MAX_VALUE;

        if (inUse) LOG.warn(MISUSE_MESSAGE);
        inUse = true;

        return httpConnection;
    }

Re: Timeout input parameter not used in getConnectionWithTimeout method

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 11:39 -0800, bensonthomas wrote:
> I got the source code to check the functionality for timeout and I see that
> this is not used in the code.

This is not the case.

Oleg