Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bostjan Skufca <bo...@lenivec.com> on 2009/11/16 20:17:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Lots of page faults

Hi everybody!

I have noticed that Apache (2.2.14/linux) is causing a lot of page faults
while serving any request, be it static file or some application server
stuff.

Correlation goes like this:
- benchmark is started with 4 ab processes with 32 clients each.
- benchmark results at around 2k requests per second for tiny static file
- page faults start at rate 2 x requests/s but in a couple of seconds drop
to 1-to-1 correlation with req/s.

I tried to exclude logging and only external module (PHP) but did not help.
Openssl support is also compiled in.

Can anyone point me in some direction where I should look/search to resolve
this? Or is this normal behaviour?

Thank you very much,
Bostjan

Re: [users@httpd] Lots of page faults

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 16.11.09 20:17, Bostjan Skufca wrote:
> I have noticed that Apache (2.2.14/linux) is causing a lot of page faults
> while serving any request, be it static file or some application server
> stuff.

how much of memory is in the maching you are running it on?
Page faults may mean that you are running out of memory...
What's the OS and memory usage?

> Correlation goes like this:
> - benchmark is started with 4 ab processes with 32 clients each.
> - benchmark results at around 2k requests per second for tiny static file
> - page faults start at rate 2 x requests/s but in a couple of seconds drop
> to 1-to-1 correlation with req/s.
>
> I tried to exclude logging and only external module (PHP) but did not help.
> Openssl support is also compiled in.
>
> Can anyone point me in some direction where I should look/search to resolve
> this? Or is this normal behaviour?

I don't have lysdexia. The Dog wouldn't allow that.