Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Pawel Bialasiewicz <pa...@evengx.com> on 2017/11/22 12:01:47 UTC

Not able to run metron.

Hi,

I have been trying to run Metron in many ways and all of the deployment
methods failed:

1) Bare metal –-> [Issue 1320]

2) AWS –-> [Issue 1318]

3) Vagrant –-> [Issue 1327]

So currently I'm out of options. All the deployments methods failed.

Is the all of documentation outdated, or maybe I should use a more specific
branch(other then master)?

Can somebody confirm that it is currently possible to build metron-config?
It fails for me in every deployment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
Sorry - I didn't answer one of your questions.  Yes, I am able to build
metron-config and full-dev is working fine for me from master.

Jon

--

Jon

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
You shouldn’t need ansible for the full-dev build, but you will need maven, docker and an up-to-date nodejs and npm package to do the actual build. I would recommend against using the OS provided nodejs and go with the packages from nodesource instead.

The full-dev build is also the best starting point if you’re looking for an environment to test extensions or contributions to the platform, though I would make sure you give it plenty of RAM (16GB is a good starting point for the VM I find, so you may need to adjust the Vagrantfile).

In a ‘real’ environment, the best way to install is through the Mpack method on an existing Ambari install. I would not recommend using ansible at all. It is extremely sensitive to ansible version number and very brittle as a result because ansible apis keep changing from build to build.

Simon

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
Just FYI, that’s a little outdated, Ubuntu builds are now included in the hortonworks distribution, but if you want to build from source the advice there very much applies.

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
Btw:  If you have ubuntu clusters, have you seen :
https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/88843/manually-installing-apache-metron-on-ubuntu-1404.html

On November 22, 2017 at 08:17:41, Otto Fowler (ottobackwards@gmail.com)
wrote:

I build on mac, and have :

--
node
v6.10.2

On 22 Nov 2017, at 13:03, Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com> wrote:

You DO need ansible for full_dev deployment.
You do need Docker installed and running

On November 22, 2017 at 07:51:47, Pawel Bialasiewicz (pawel@evengx.com)
wrote:

Here is the output:

platform-info.sh
Metron 0.4.2
--
* master
Author: merrimanr <me...@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 21 13:46:35 2017 -0600

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
I build on mac, and have :

--
node
v6.10.2
npm
3.10.10

for my node versions.

On November 22, 2017 at 08:05:02, Simon Elliston Ball (
simon@simonellistonball.com) wrote:

Sorry, you’re right, you do need ansible. Make sure the version is EXACTLY
the version in the docs.

Simon

On 22 Nov 2017, at 13:03, Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com> wrote:

You DO need ansible for full_dev deployment.
You do need Docker installed and running

On November 22, 2017 at 07:51:47, Pawel Bialasiewicz (pawel@evengx.com)
wrote:

Here is the output:

platform-info.sh
Metron 0.4.2
--
* master
Author: merrimanr <me...@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 21 13:46:35 2017 -0600

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
You DO need ansible for full_dev deployment.
You do need Docker installed and running

On November 22, 2017 at 07:51:47, Pawel Bialasiewicz (pawel@evengx.com)
wrote:

Here is the output:

platform-info.sh
Metron 0.4.2
--
* master
Author: merrimanr <me...@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 21 13:46:35 2017 -0600

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by Pawel Bialasiewicz <pa...@evengx.com>.
Here is the output:

platform-info.sh
Metron 0.4.2
--
* master
Author: merrimanr <me...@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 21 13:46:35 2017 -0600

Re: Not able to run metron.

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.
You will need docker to be installed.  In theory this should work across
any *nix distro, but the instructions provided are most thoroughly tested
on macOS endpoints so I always like to clarify.  I know in the past I had
some bumps with spinning it up on CentOS just due to lack of testing.

Can you run this[1] and report back with the output?  Thanks,

1:
https://github.com/apache/metron/blob/master/metron-deployment/scripts/platform-info.sh

Jon

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 7:21 AM Pawel Bialasiewicz <pa...@evengx.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the answer Zeolla!
>
> As for now lets focus on the vagrant spin up.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong: the vagrant full-dev install should work on any
> linux distro that has: Vagrant, Virtualbox, Ansible, git, Maven,
> vagrant-hostmanager.
>
> I'm have all of those things installed on a fresh install of Ubuntu 16
> LTS. And it still crashes with the output that I included in the Issue 1327.
>
> Pawel
>

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Zeolla@GMail.com <ze...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It looks like you have two issues - one related to having java_home
>> unset, and one with an old version of npm.
>>
>> I would suggest focusing on the Vagrant spin-up, as it is the easiest to
>> get running.  Are you running this on a CentOS 6 machine, or are you
>> referring to the full-dev VM's CentOS 6 OS?  Also, you have noted that this
>> affects version 0.4.0, but the latest release is 0.4.1, is that accurate?
>> Have you retried the `vagrant up` after your npm upgrade and a npm` cache
>> clean`?
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 7:01 AM Pawel Bialasiewicz <pa...@evengx.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I have been trying to run Metron in many ways and all of the deployment
>>> methods failed:
>>>

>>> 1) Bare metal –-> [Issue 1320]
>>>
>>> 2) AWS –-> [Issue 1318]
>>>
>>> 3) Vagrant –-> [Issue 1327]
>>>

>>> So currently I'm out of options. All the deployments methods failed.
>>>

>>> Is the all of documentation outdated, or maybe I should use a more
>>> specific branch(other then master)?
>>>

>>> Can somebody confirm that it is currently possible to build
>>> metron-config? It fails for me in every deployment.
>>>

>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>> --
>>
>> Jon
>>

> --