Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Impac7 <im...@web.de> on 2004/05/19 14:05:04 UTC

Basic Authentication with Tomcat

Hello.

I have problems converting this http://wiki.apache.org/xindice/BasicAuthentication manual from Jetty to Tomcat..

First point "Configure users and roles in the servlet engine": I can't find a in realm.properties file in Tomcat. Where do i have to create such a file or is there already another File i have to edit? What ist the tools/jetty/conf/main.xml file in Tomcat?

Last Point "Configure Xindice XML-RPC Driver (Client side)" What do i have to do where?!

I am using: Windows XP; j2sdk1.4.2_04; xindice 1.1b4; Tomcat 5.0.19

I would appreciate any help and please remember I'm not experienced at all with this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Re: Basic Authentication with Tomcat

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Impac7 wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have problems converting this
> http://wiki.apache.org/xindice/BasicAuthentication manual from Jetty
> to Tomcat..
>
> First point "Configure users and roles in the servlet engine": I can't
> find a in realm.properties file in Tomcat.

Please read Wiki entry carefully...
    This configuration is *servlet* *engine* *dependent*, and for
*Jetty* consists from the following steps

Translation...
    realm.properties is Jetty file. All other engines (Weblogic,
WebSphere, Tomcat, JBoss, you name it) won't have it. If they have it,
it is coincidence.

> Where do i have to create such a file or is there already another File
> i have to edit?

Consult Tomcat documentation, user list, and / or user list archives to
get answer to this question. I, for example, see
webapps/tomcat-docs/realm-howto.html in my Tomcat version, which goes
into details of realm configuration.

> What ist the tools/jetty/conf/main.xml file in Tomcat?

Please read above - everything above applies to jetty main.xml as well.
It is Jetty file, has nothing to do with Tomcat. Tomcat's configuration
file is conf/server.xml, if you do not know it. I'd recommed reading
Tomcat documentation before changing this file.

> Last Point "Configure Xindice XML-RPC Driver (Client side)" What do i
> have to do where?!

Please read Wiki entry:
    This can be done with system properties ... or programmatically.

Details are here:

http://xml.apache.org/xindice/api/org/apache/xindice/client/xmldb/xmlrpc/DatabaseImpl.html

Vadim