Posted to user@struts.apache.org by nitin mandolkar <ni...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/06 13:53:16 UTC

How to accress property set to action element

I want to access property that i set in action element.

Here is the action element in strust-config file.

   <action-mappings type="org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping">
     <action
     	path="/login"
     	name="loginForm"
     	type="com.myapp.web.struts.LoginAction"
     	input="/login.jsp"
	    scope="request">
                   <set-property property="authenticat" value="true"/>
	   <forward name="init" path="/loginjsp.do" />
	   <forward name="success" path="/welcome.do" />
	   <forward name="failure" path="/loginjsp.do" />
     </action>

How can i access 'authenticated' property element autheticated in
action call process() method. Is there any method in ActionMapping
class that will help to get this property.

Observation:

Re: How to accress property set to action element

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.
nitin mandolkar wrote:
> I want to access property that i set in action element.
>
> Here is the action element in strust-config file.
>
>    <action-mappings type="org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping">
>      <action
>      	path="/login"
>      	name="loginForm"
>      	type="com.myapp.web.struts.LoginAction"
>      	input="/login.jsp"
> 	    scope="request">
>                    <set-property property="authenticat" value="true"/>
> 	   <forward name="init" path="/loginjsp.do" />
> 	   <forward name="success" path="/welcome.do" />
> 	   <forward name="failure" path="/loginjsp.do" />
>      </action>
>
> How can i access 'authenticated' property element autheticated in
> action call process() method. Is there any method in ActionMapping
> class that will help to get this property.

No, you have to supply the relevant methods yourself. From the
documentation in struts-config.dtd:

<!-- The "set-property" element specifies the method name and initial
value of
      an additional JavaBean configuration property. When the object
representing
      the surrounding element is instantiated, the accessor for the
indicated
      property is called and passed the indicated value. The "set-property"
      element is especially useful when a custom subclass is used with
      <forward>, <action>, or <plug-in> elements. The subclass
      can be passed whatever other properties may be required to
configure the
      object without changing how the struts-config is parsed.

     Since Struts 1.3, an alternate syntax is supported.  By using
     the "key" attribute instead of the "property" attribute, you can set
     arbitrary string properties on the Config object which is populated
     based on the containing element.   NOTE: the "key" attribute is NOT
         supported for <set-property> inside a <plug-in> element.

      property        Name of the JavaBeans property whose setter method
                      will be called. Exactly one of
                      "property" or "key" must be specified.

      key             Where supported, the key which will be used to store
                      the specified value in the given config object.
Exactly one of
                      "property" or "key" must be specified.

      value           String representation of the value to which this
                      property will be set, after suitable type conversion

-->

So you need to add String getAuthenticated() / void
setAuthenticated(String) methods to your action class.

> Observation:
> ------------------
> After setting this property i tryed to run my webapplication. But
> which gives me an error.
>
> Nitin mandolkar.

Can't offer much help with that unless you post the error you got...

L.

Re: How to accress property set to action element

Posted by David Durham <dd...@vailsys.com>.

                                                         ^

> 	   <forward name="init" path="/loginjsp.do" />
> 	   <forward name="success" path="/welcome.do" />
> 	   <forward name="failure" path="/loginjsp.do" />
>      </action>
>
> How can i access 'authenticated' property element autheticated in
> action call process() method. Is there any method in ActionMapping
> class that will help to get this property.
>
> Observation:
> After setting this property i tryed to run my webapplication. But
> which gives me an error.

That's not really much of an observation.  Maybe you have a typo?

-Dave