Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> on 2007/01/08 15:28:26 UTC

Making the SDO & SCA schemas available via internet

Hi,

I like to keep my (eclispe) workspaces free of red x's (errors) and make use
of content assistance where ever possible. As a result I keep copying the
various SDO and SCA schema files to different projects and workspaces. An
alternative I've tried is to directly reference the schemas location in
subversion, eg
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/spec/sdo-api/src/main/resources/xml/sdoModel.xsd

However, this means that when schemas change existing XML files could become
invalid. For example, SDO 3's schema could introduce a change that is not
backwards compatible.

Is there any desire to fix this by hosting a copy (or linking to a specific
subversion revision) off the main tuscany site url, for example:
http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/schemas/sdo/2.1.0/sdoModel.xsd.
Alternatively does (or should) OSOA.org host them somewhere (I can't find
any links). Either way I think it would be a good idea to have SDO and SCA
schemas available directly off the internet...

WDYT?

Cheers,
Dan

Re: Making the SDO & SCA schemas available via internet

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Dan Murphy wrote:
> Do'oh what a muppet (I am)... didn't think of that, though the url is not
> the most memorable, it fixes my immediate concern... thanks Pete :)
> Anyone from the OSOA collab around who can raise this?
> Dan
>
> On 08/01/07, Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/01/07, Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I like to keep my (eclispe) workspaces free of red x's (errors) and
>> make
>> > use
>> > of content assistance where ever possible. As a result I keep copying
>> the
>> > various SDO and SCA schema files to different projects and workspaces.
>> An
>> > alternative I've tried is to directly reference the schemas
>> location in
>> > subversion, eg
>> >

>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/java/spec/sdo-api/src/main/resources/xml/sdoModel.xsd
>>

>> > However, this means that when schemas change existing XML files could
>> > become
>> > invalid. For example, SDO 3's schema could introduce a change that is
>> not
>> > backwards compatible.
>> >
>> > Is there any desire to fix this by hosting a copy (or linking to a
>> > specific
>> > subversion revision) off the main tuscany site url, for example:
>> > http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/schemas/sdo/2.1.0/sdoModel.xsd.
>> > Alternatively does (or should) OSOA.org host them somewhere (I can't
>> find
>> > any links). Either way I think it would be a good idea to have SDO and
>> SCA
>> > schemas available directly off the internet...
>> >
>> > WDYT?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Dan
>> >

>> I think ultimately they should be available from OSOA site. Can you just
>> link into the svn src tree in the tag for the release you are using?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Pete

I have created JIRA http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1033
for this. I'll raise it to the OSOA spec collaboration.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Making the SDO & SCA schemas available via internet

Posted by Frank Budinsky <fr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Dan,

I've heard that a more general problem is that the namespace URIs that SDO
uses for its standard types:

commonj.sdo
commonj.sdo/xml
commonj.sdo/java

are problematic since they are not absolute URIs and according to some WS
spec are not really valid, so some web servers completely ignore them.

If that is true, then SDO is going to need to make a change to use proper
absolute URIs for these namespaces. For example:

"http://www.osoa.org/2007/sdo"
"http://www.osoa.org/2007/sdo/xml"
"http://www.osoa.org/2007/sdo/java"

Then you won't need to include a schemaLocation, since the imported
namespaces themselves will be available on the internet.

I guess the first step is to open an issue with the SDO specification and
see what results.

Frank

Posted by Dan Murphy <dm...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

I'm working on this for the SCA materials.

We have just had an upgrade of the www.osoa.org server that will allow
us to serve files outside of the Confluence Wiki.  This should allow us
to place files at the correct URLs implied by the specifications.
Previously, the server configuration did not allow this at all.

With luck, this will be available by next week.

Yours,  Mike.