Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Francois LAGIER <fr...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/28 22:00:05 UTC

Thirft + JDBC : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

  Hello everybody,

I just start working on HIVE so maybe my question will be stupid but for
the moment I am completely stuck so ...

I try to create a Java app, and try to launch some query on my Hive Server.
After reading the wiki, I try with JDBC and Thrift.

For the moment, I just try to connect to the server, to launch a very
basic query ("Show tables") and display the result in my console.
In the both case, JDBC and Thrift, I have always the same result :

Exception in thread "ImportDataModule" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java
heap space
     at
org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readStringBody(TBinaryProtocol.java:296)
     at
org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readMessageBegin(TBinaryProtocol.java:203)
     at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.recv_execute(ThriftHive.java:72)
     at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.service.ThriftHive$Client.execute(ThriftHive.java:57)
     at com.tubemogul.rtb.datastore.HiveDAO.testThrift(HiveDAO.java:59)
     at
com.tubemogul.rtb.daemon.ImportDataThread.run(ImportDataThread.java:54)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

And this is my function :

TTransport transport;
try {
     transport = new TSocket("my-server", 9999);
     TProtocol protocol = new TBinaryProtocol(transport);
     HiveClient client = new HiveClient(protocol);
     transport.open();
     client.execute("SHOW TABLES");
     //List<String> a = client.fetchAll();
     transport.close();
} catch (HiveServerException e) {
     // TODO Auto-generated catch block
     e.printStackTrace();
} catch (TException e) {
     // TODO Auto-generated catch block
     e.printStackTrace();
}

Now, I really hope one of you already have this problem and already fix it.
I am sorry if you already talk about that in one of your email but I
didn't find something to fix that,

Thanks in advance,

Francois

Re: Thirft + JDBC : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by Todd Lee <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

can you try with just the JDBC client first? (you shouldn't need to use any
of those TTransport code).

make sure you have hive-jdbc-0.7.0.jar and libfb303.jar in your classpath.
it might also help if you post the command you run to start Hive Server and
the server logs.

Posted by Francois LAGIER <fr...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>>
>> And this is my function :
>>
>> TTransport transport;
>> try {
>>    transport = new TSocket("my-server", 9999);
>>    TProtocol protocol = new TBinaryProtocol(transport);
>>    HiveClient client = new HiveClient(protocol);
>>    transport.open();
>>    client.execute("SHOW TABLES");
>>    //List<String> a = client.fetchAll();
>>    transport.close();
>> } catch (HiveServerException e) {
>>    // TODO Auto-generated catch block
>>    e.printStackTrace();
>> } catch (TException e) {
>>    // TODO Auto-generated catch block
>>    e.printStackTrace();
>> }
>>

>> Now, I really hope one of you already have this problem and already fix it.
>> I am sorry if you already talk about that in one of your email but I didn't find something to fix that,

Francois LAGIER
francois.lagier@gmail.com

Re: Thirft + JDBC : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Posted by Todd Lee <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francois LAGIER <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Lee <ro...@gmail.com>.