Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ricardo Rocha <ri...@apache.org> on 2000/12/05 12:48:58 UTC

Re: taglibs (was: XObject)

Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> The current XSP implementation allows for the inclusion of
>> "not-builtin" libraries by means of _top-level_ <xsp:logicsheet>
>> directives or root-level <?xml-logicsheet?> pi's.
>
> Some more questions:
>
> Which syntax should be preferred <xsp:logicsheet> or the PI?

Personally, I dislike the PI form. It's there only because
of a (vain?) attempt to provide "backwards compatibility"
with C1.

I also dislike <xsp:logicsheet> (as I've come to dislike
a number of things about the current C2 XSP implementation,
but I'd like to elaborate on this later).

For one, logicsheets are not part of the core XSP (i.e. code
generation) tagset. I feel they should belong to a separate
namespace designed to represent logicsheet-specific actions
(e.g. <sll:logicsheet>)

This may sound a bit extreme, but I'd rather return to the old
days when namespaces were the _only_ mechanism for associating
logicsheets with XSP's.

Btw, the reason why the <?xml-logicsheet?> pi was introduced
was to provide a way of associating logicsheets without the
need to restart the servlet engine (so that Cocoon reloaded
its configuration file containing the namespace-to-logicsheet
mappings). Now that we have an auto-reloading sitemap, this
shouldn't be a problem...

In all truth, another reason to introduce <?xml-logicsheet?>
was to make it possible to write logichsheets that were not
tied to a namespace.

I think it's a good idea to re-enforce this association (i.e.
namespace uri and logicsheet)

What do you guys think?

Ricardo

Standard for documents content structure.

Posted by Krzysztof Zielinski <KZ...@supermedia.pl>.
Hi.

For a few weeks I have been making a publishing system for internet
newspapers.
I have designed my own structure for documents with articles.

In attachment there is a small example of my documents structure. I think
that my solution is not very universal but it is easy.

Where can I found internet documents content standard .

I know that there are standards for describe content eg RDF.
I have not found a standard for define content of documents.

I have looked at DBPrism and solution from Oracle but article content in
Oracle is part of HTML. In solution from Oracle there are not separately
title, paragraphs, photos and other parts of article. All part of article
are together in one part of HTML code.
It is not good enough for me. I can't for example: publish content as PGF or
WAP. I want to save documents in database and make easy editor for
documents.

I have looked at other standards like RDF,RSS,DublinCore,PRISML and all of
them are used for describe content not for define content.

Does someone defined his own standard content documents and implemented it?

Thanks for any suggestions or hints

Regards,
Krzysztof Zielinski
Web Application developer
kzielinski@supermedia.pl

Re: taglibs (was: XObject)

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 12:48:58PM +0100, Ricardo Rocha wrote:
> Personally, I dislike the PI form. It's there only because
> of a (vain?) attempt to provide "backwards compatibility"
> with C1.

Ditto -- it feels very, uh, 'legacy'.

> This may sound a bit extreme, but I'd rather return to the old
> days when namespaces were the _only_ mechanism for associating
> logicsheets with XSP's.

Same here. I think they should be specified in the sitemap
*somewhere*. I can't see this being too much of a runtime
performance hit, because at the end of the day, they can all
be indexed out of a HashMap, which is an O(1) operation.

> In all truth, another reason to introduce <?xml-logicsheet?>
> was to make it possible to write logichsheets that were not
> tied to a namespace.

Ack. Don't like that idea -- namespace collisions are painful.
(as anyone who's used C++ will tell you ;)

> I think it's a good idea to re-enforce this association (i.e.
> namespace uri and logicsheet)

Agreed.

P.
--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: taglibs (was: XObject)

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
At 12:48 +0100 05/12/00, Ricardo Rocha wrote:
>I think it's a good idea to re-enforce this association (i.e.
>namespace uri and logicsheet)
>
>What do you guys think?

+1

Tough I do find the convenience of the <xsp:logicsheet> PI most helpful!

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <ma...@mac.com>     		 <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>