Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Chris Hyzer <mc...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/16 07:28:25 UTC

how axis upgrades affect generated XML / WSDL

Hey,

We are looking at using Axis, and I did a proof of concept, which uses the defaults from the quick start and Javabeans.  The details are here:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/WS+-+Proof+of+Concept+2007-10-2007

There is a concern of Axis generated XML vs more of a hand-coded approach since Axis upgrades might change the WSDL which means that existing clients of the web service will need to change.  e.g. the current output of the web service for REST is:

<ns:findAllResponse>
  <ns:return type="edu.internet2.middleware.grouper.webservices.WsSubject">
    <ns:description>JUSTIN SMITH</ns:description>
    <ns:id>100abcda</ns:id>
    <ns:name>JUSTIN SMITH</ns:name>
  </ns:return>

And might an upgrade of Axis change this (it is based on a simple javabean)?
In general what is the upgrade strategy?  and I dont know if I am talking about major or minor upgrades to Axis.  I know Axis2 is different from Axis.  So can both run at once to support old clients, or do clients need to change, or just not upgrade Axis, etc?

Thanks!
Chris

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs